Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Distributor Not Seating SBC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks guys.

Nice link for the dizzy wiki Cobalt.

Looks like I may need some of those nylon spacers. Since I didn't do anything with the block, heads or intake, I was most likely driving it around with the oil pump drive shaft tight against the distributor tang all this time.

This engine was not originally a TPI motor. I wonder if a different pump/drive shaft was used than what I'm running now. Maybe the L98 heads kept the intake higher?

Do you think I grind a bit off the bottom of the dizzy tang?
That will work as long as the drive shaft isn't what's grounding out up inside the distributor gear, if you follow. It could be the male dist. shaft bottom hitting the bottom of the groove of the female pump drive, OR the sides of the female drive could be hitting up inside the distributor gear. I don't have a pump drive handy (do have a dist. right here) or I'd check to see which it would be for sure.

Hopefully driving like that hasn't damaged the oil pump. You can inspect the thrust washers/spacers on the distributor (between the gear and housing) for wear or damage/signs of overheating.