Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Distributor Question 350 SBC
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyDuzIt102 View Post
I recently dropped my 350 back in a few days ago. While I had the engine out, I replaced the timing chain and gears and all the gaskets and some other parts. I am ready to install the distributor and I was told by someone that when I drop it in, the rotor should be pointing at the #6 cylinder. I have always installed it by pointing it to the #1 and making sure the timing mark was on 0. The person told me to point it to #6 when he found out I replaced the timing gears and chain. Am I missing something here? Or is this correct?
Depends on how you left the timing gears. When the pip mark on the gears face each other (crank at 12 and cam at 6 O'clock position) the engine is ready to fire number 6 cylinder. If you rotated the engine one turn from there or assembled it so the both the crank and cam gear's pip marks are upright in the 12 O'clock position then it's ready to fire number 1.

Position the distributor housing so the vacuum cannister is pointing forward, then rotate the shaft so the rotor is pointed at which-ever cylinder will be on firing based on the position you left the gears in. Expect the oil pump drive not to mesh with the distributor drive gear in such away as to give you perfect body alignment. You can compromise the vacuum cannister location a little or reach down the distributor hole with a screw driver and turn the pump drive till you get the mesh you want. Be sure the distributor is meshed with the oil pump before tighening the hold down so you don't break parts. Don't forget the gasket that goes under the distributor or you'll have a little oil leak from the base of the distributor where it meets the manifold.

Bogie