Distributor Timing Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Distributor Timing Problems

Hi Guys,

It's EB again and I am trying to fire-up my 283 in my 1958 Chevy. I bought the truck 2 years back and finally ready to fire up the engine. When I bought it The engine would run briefly but the fuel pump and carb where bad so I replaced with a new Edelbrock manifold and carb just recently. In doing so I had to remove the distributor.

I think I found TDC by cranking engine end over until the #1 piston is closet to #1 spark plug (very top of cylinder) and then pointed rotor to #1 plug wire. Then I connected plug wires clockwise on cap in cylinder firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I realize there is a compression and exhaust TDC. It popped/backfired the first time so I rotated the rotor/distributor 180 degrees. It does not pop or backfire but it will not run also. It fires a few times but will not run.

Suspecting it was not getting fuel, I check my fuel line and carb is getting fuel. I can also hear fuel being sprayed in carb when I move throttle. I tried spraying starter fluid will cranking engine but it will not run...so it seems liek fuel is not problem

I am thinking the only thing it can be is timing is still off or I have an electrical problem. I installed a new distributor cap because the previous one was arching. I also replaced the distributor points and condenser with a Pertronix Igniter 2 system.

Thinking the Igniter 2 system might be the problem I put in a back up distributor with points/condenser in it and it acts the same way. Pertronix tech support informed me that I don't need the "ignition resistor" with igniter 2. Do I need the "ignition resistor" for the engine to run ?

Any suggestion on how to verify TDC and proper distributor timing appreciated?

Thanks

EB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 02:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Ignition

[color=lightblue]Doc here

Some things to try,

Bring it up on #1 TDC Compression both intake and exhaust valves closed , again and recheck the Rotor to ensure it is on #1 plug tower, Points just begining to open.

Check your specs but I think the points are supposed to be around 17. Check to see they are actually hitting the lobes opening and closing, and are not electrically shorting anywhere.

Do you have Spark at the points? Use a Insulated Screwdriver to open and close them with the key on.

Is the Secondary Ignition working? The power supplied to the Coil while Cranking.

I don't know about the Pertronics system, But you DO need the Ignition Resistor for the Stock Ignition. The Engine Will run without the resistor, But the Points will burn up and the Coil get very hot after a time.

Sounds like you were getting fire at one point, but not in the right order, OR you got a mighty big induction leak.

Also, Not withstanding the Start Fluid(in testing) , (for continued running) If the Gas is 2 years old you might want to replace that..It probably has all the punch of a water pistol...

Hope it helps!

Doc
[/color]
Old 06-30-2004, 02:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Doc,

After doing some research I think I might have found my problem. When I was at TDC #1 and pointed rotor to # 1 plug, I would rotate the distributor each time so it would drop down and align with oil pump. I think this would mess up my cam/distr gearing by 1/4.

From what I read you should not do that, just crant engine until distr aligns and drops all the way down

Thanks

EB
Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Pump seat

[color=lightblue]Doc here

Glad you found it!

That was actually on my mind, but I couldn't remember if the gear was diagonal cut or not, 283's were a while ago...plus seating into the pump shaft after rotation.

For Future Reference, You can Take a long slot screw driver and line the pump shaft up before you drop the distributor in.

So, you were about a 1/2 plug off right? between 1 and 8?

Doc
[/color]

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.