Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Distributor Tuning and Theory - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No Problem, as I think those articles on timing show, a lot of thought and engineering goes into setting up advance curves. Just the shear number of Vac cans available in the Echlin catalog shows how different motors need different specs to work properly. Knowing there are options for folks to retrofit can be a lifesaver when trying to dial in advance curves for good street manners.

As I mentioned on another post somewhere we tune in at least 3 motors a week on my dyno, about half will typically have Demons, and the other half some sort of Holley, either stock or prepped by Braswell. Over the past three years I can not recall ever having to drastically alter either a properly assembled carburetor or distributor. Every time though basic tuning was needed. With the carbs we get from Braswell they are usually spot on with the exception of dialing in the idle speed, verifying float settings and balancing the idle mix screws. The only time we have ever had a problem with Demon's has been due to debris somehow remaining in the casting assembly somewhere. On Demons we typically will disassemble and inspect prior to running on the dyno, just in case. Otherwise they perform well with very good brake specifics.