Hot Rod Forum banner

distributor vacuum hookup

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich1691 
#1 ·
Saw an article in hotrod mag stating most cars run better if connected to ported vacuum. I thought manifold vacuum was best. Could this be a misprint or do you think their right. Whichever hook-up produces better e.t.'s is what I am most interested in.

#4 ·
Depends on the curve in your distributer, and what you want for advance at idle. With manifold vacuum, you will have full vacuum advance when idling, leaving only the mechanical advance still to come in. Personally, I prefer to use ported vacuum for the advance.

#5 ·
Get a spring kit to adjust your mechanical advance curve. Get it setup correctly then use the vacuum advance on manifold vacuum. At full throttle there won't be any vacuum advance, but mechanical advance will throw in all the needed advance if tuned properly. But on the highway at part throttle the vac advance will increase advance to increase gas mileage since the engine isn't under a heavy load such as WOT the extra timing advance won't cause detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.