Divco project journal update - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Divco project journal update

I figured out that the image files on my project journal were way to big and it took forever to load especially on dial up. Like 5-7 min. Well I updated the entires and it works much better. Some of you young guys dont even know what a Divco is. These trucks were built from 1939 thru 1986. Most refrigerated models were used as door to door milk trucks. Non reefer units were used as bread trucks and/or diaper services. I'm converting this one to an ice cream truck and plan to sell at events only here on the west coast. Mostly I plan to do car shows but I promised to do a vintage air show in June (fathers day) for my first show. It needs a ton of work, but I have 2 months left and its my only job since I'm now retired. Check it out and tell me what you think. I would like your opinions please.

Ross "Roscos Ice Cream"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

So let me get this straight. You have 3 Divcos? Man I am jealous I always thought they made cool rides. Doing a search on the Internet you can only come up with a couple that has ever been fixed up. Nice finds.

Kevin
Old 04-19-2006, 01:51 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
So let me get this straight. You have 3 Divcos? Man I am jealous I always thought they made cool rides. Kevin
it just ain't right is it kevin. i love those trucks & tried for over 5yrs to buy one from a guy down the street from me. he used those famous last words "i'm go'n fix it up some day" well that day came when i seen it on the back of a flatbed being hauled away to the scrapper , i couldnt buy from the boneyard because "THEY didnt sell whole cars or trucks" & this one was going str8 to the shredder, man was i ever f'n po'd.........joe
Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Divco

I like your Divco truck very much, I also see you have some Morris cars.
Here is a photo of an old Morris J2 type, not unlike your Divco. There are only 600 of these known in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morris J2.jpg
Views:	2350
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	11664  
Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Yes Kevin, 3 of 'em, and I my wife lets me get away with it. Of course when I sell a car I always give my wife a crisp new 100 dollar bill to spend on something fun... not bills. So whenever I want to buy something, she just says "sure"! I have found about a dozen rodded Divcos on the net. They are far and few between. Most Divco owners restore them, but they can only go 45 to 50 MPH because they were geared to for stop and go or just short distances.

Joe... My "goal" in life is to save as many classic rides from the crusher as I can.

trooper... That Morris J2 is so cool. I have never even heard of that model. I have owned 2 Minors in the past before I found these 3 that I now have and have been a Morris nut for years. That would make a nice rodded ice cream truck for my "fleet".

Last edited by 2-manytoyzs; 04-21-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Last photo:

Neat project and a cool idea selling ice cream from it at car shows and especially a vintage airshow, should be a huge hit.

Good luck
Vince
Old 04-21-2006, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Ross,

Decided to see what a Divco might look like with some body mods. I took your 1965 and did a little tweaking. I don't know if you're a purist or not, but I thought I'd post the results here. Chopped the top and used a modified front fender for the rear fender.

Thanks,
PeterM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Divco - Side by Side 800x300.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	11721  
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Ross, the Divcos look like a fun project and a way to make a few bucks having some fun. Are you going to Kingsburg tomorrow for the car show? Might see you there. Dan
Change of plans, Pomona swap meet.

Last edited by dinger; 04-22-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Vince, It already gets a lot of attention just hauling it around on the trailer.

Peter, no I'm not a purest, although this is going to be a hard decision on rodding this one. I dont care for the rear fender styling on this truck. Some earlier models have a rounded fender (which looks better) instead of the flat top. That rear fender looks good. It might look better too it the bottom corner just behind the tire was rounded and opened up more. The stock fender looks like its crowding those stock 20" wheels. I saw a chopped Divco at Pleasenton several years ago. It was one of the best rodded trucks I've seen but I felt it took away from the character of the body style with that tall top, plus this will be my new "office" and I really need the tall top for my 6' height. I like the raked chop you did... kinda of a sinister/gangster look. I'll keep that rear fender in mind when I get into this truck. Other delivery trucks of the 50s do have similar rear fender treatments. (Dodge, Boyertown, I.H. Metro, etc.)

Hi Dan, good to hear from you. I didnt realize the Kingsburg show was this weekend. I already had plans to take my granddaughters to Shaver Lake for the weekend to play in the snow. I would like to sell ice cream at Pomona but I read on the web site they dont allow vendors at the swap meet. Were there any food vendors there? I'm wondering if that means parts vendors and/or food vendors. I need to call. I would like to do the Pomona drags this summer. I will be checking in to Famosa. That should be a good place to sell on a hot valley weekend.

Ross
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Ross, there were food vendors galore, all doing a brisk business. I have never seen so many cars for sale in one place, had to be 2000-3000 of them, parts vendors, memorabilia, you name it, it was there. My legs are killing me today, must have walked 20 miles. We got there sat morning, about 300 cars there and 50 vendors, there was a steady stream coming in all day and night, the place was packed by 5 a.m. I slept in a sleeping bag in the back of the truck, got soaked by the rain before I gave it up and moved into the truck. I can't even venture a guess at how many people were there, some food vendors stayed open all night, there was non stop traffic all night long, pedestians and cars. Prices of everything were sky-high, food, cars, parts, it's not a place to find a deal but a darn good place to make money. My buddy had a 65 Chevelle 2dr wagon for sale, didn't sell but gave out his ph# to many people for leads to sell. The meet starts about 5 a.m. and is done by 2 p.m. Pretty crazy, I don't know if I will go back unless it's something I would want to sell for top buck. If you ever want to thin the inventory this would be a darn good place to make some money. One guy hauled in about 10 of the most pristine cars I've ever seen, must have been thinning out his collection, one was a 68 Chevelle, b.b., 4 speed, probably a 95+ point car, asking price was 52,000. A 62 Chev 2dr h.t. rust bucket, asking $3,200, there wasn't a panel on the car that wasn't rusted through. Definetely an experience. If I can get a little time and some brain power working, I'll post some pics, have to figure out how to make them smaller. Dan
Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

2manytoyzs
i just read thru 20 pages of your divco build, very cool. everyone likes divco's.
i'll assume you back working, no updates since 8-09.
i did have a good chuckle on your 1st post, "i give myself 3 mths"
never put that stuff in writing again
i started my project with the words "should be done in time for woodward '03"
my end is in sight for woodward '10
nice build
ogre

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.