Hot Rod Forum banner

divilbiss and sharpe filter/reg combo the same thing?

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  69 widetrack 
#1 ·
the 2 models are

sha6720 vs devhar602

are they not the same?

I am looking for a good filter/dryer system

was also thinking the sharpe 6760 if other thing its good quality.

See less See more
#4 ·
A trap/filter is an important piece of equipment for your shop, especially if your planning on doing any painting...if your not you can get away with one of the single filtering systems. The 3 stage desiccant system would be beneficial if you plan on plugging a paint gun into your air line and sure wouldn't hurt your regular air tools...if budget isn't an issue that may be a route you want to go. Sharpe does make some quality filtering systems. The Devilbus "Finishline" system is fine but as their "Finishline" paint guns, may be considered to be entry level.

Ray

Ray

#7 ·
I made a post on garage journal talking about this aswell

my lines are at 3/4" and was thinking to get the sharpe 707f

and beside that to install the sharpe 707c which is the coalescer

both of which are 3/4"

would this be a nice set up? price would be about $425

#14 ·
I'd still like to hear an answer to the original question, as I too have wondered if the Devilbiss/Sharpe/Astro filters are the same or not. With the exception of the shutoff valve on the outlet, the parts look IDENTICAL. My money says that all three are made from Chinesium.

#16 ·
I have been doing some more research and I see alot talk about 3/4" lines but then install 1/2 filtration. I don't understand this.

if I was to use the sharpe 705fc which is 1/2 the cfm flow is like 70.

compared to 3/4 version is 300cfm on stage 1 filter and 115cfm on stage 2 filter..

#17 ·
Most shops run 1/2" inch air lines even if they employ 4 or 5 people, with respect to CFM, your compressor will determine how much CFM is going through the lines...so before you get concerned about air volume let me ask you, how many CFM's does your compressor put out...how big is your holding tank and what's the horse power rating of the electric motor running your compressor head. Did you realize that most shops run 3/8" inch air hoses? 1/2" inch air hoses are to bulky and cumbersome for normal use (some shops will use a 1/2" hose in the paint booth but that's the only place)...so if your concerned about reducing from 3/4" to 1/2" and your going to use a 3/8" inside diameter hose....do you now understand where I'm going with this?

Ray

#18 · (Edited)
I do and sorry for silly question I really dont understand this stuff hense why I am concerned on how I spend my money and what to get.

My compressor is the Campbell hausfeld 3.2hp 60 gal at 11ish cfm@90

my understanding is on cfm(correct me if I am wrong)

example:
If lets say my current sand blaster is calling for 15-20 cfm . and the 1/2" version of the filter system is rated at 70 cfm of flow. In this case the filters can flow the 70 which is way more then 15-20 so I would not be restricting anything by the 1/2 filters. did I understand how cfm ratings works?

#19 ·
Your understanding it to a degree, the 1/2" air line filter/trap will not be a reason you can sand blast...Now your planning on sand blasting with a 3.5 horse compressor? That may be a reason you can't sand blast...for a long time anyway, you have a 60 gallon holding tank...that is another reason your not going to be able to sandblast for a long time...you will run out of air, even if you had a 1 foot air line, the compressor and tank will not keep up with a sandblaster for any great amount of time....How many CFM does the sandblaster take and how many CFM does the compressor put out? I have not seen a 3.5 horse compressor with a 60 gallon tank keep up to a shop sized sandblaster. I think even one of those self vacuuming hand held sandblaster's would have a hard time keeping up.

Ray

#20 ·
blaster is rated 15cfm

compressor is 11cfm at 90 psi 3.2 hp but the sticker on compressor is saying (peak of 6.5hp) but I read online campbell hausfield over rates there units but true hp is 3.2

I don't use it for long times

I run in blast a engine mount bracket etc small stuff when doing engine rebuilts etc. so nothing more then 5min at a time

so if my compressor is 11cfm does that mean coming out of the tank (full tank of air too) or does that number mean what the pump is producing.

in other words what I am fishing to see is how close to 70cfm((rating of 1/2 size filtration) I am production thru the lines

#21 ·
What you have read online is 100% correct...it's not just Campbell Hausfield...it's most compressor companies (not to offend, but especially compressor manufacturer's that aren't on the high end). The 11 CFM that the manufacturer claims is what the pump produces at maximum RPM.

As far as what your producing with the filters...I don't know...we can guess...but without knowing exactly what your compressor is putting out, (manufacturer's have been known to embellish on CFM output as well). If the compressor manufacturer is correct in claiming 11 CFM....you can flow another 59 CFM through your filtration system without any problem. Filters need to withstand much more CFM than the compressor's they are hooked up to. If your concern is that the filtration system is going to restrict your air lines...and from what I'm reading it sounds like that is your concern...going from 3/4" to a 1/2" filtration system...you will not notice it.

You are wise not to run your sandblaster for very long...if you did, many problems will occur. The compressor will over heat, causing warpage of the compressor head, condensation and possible oil contamination in the air that you are now trying to filter and in turn reducing the life of your filtration system, your compressor, your air lines and your bank account. So in short...don't run your compressor to the point that it overheats...it costs lots of money.

I hope this helps you...I know it can be confusing. I will say it again, going from 3/4" to 1/2"...you will not notice it when your sandblasting.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.