Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DIY compressed air refrigerator
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think you may be missing what I am saying, the more vapor that enters the line the more water you have to deal with, water leaving the tank is considered water produced and water that remains in the tank is of little to no concern. So like Kgus said the hotter the compressor runs the more water it will produce, for practical purposes anyway, in the lines to be collected by the separator. If the air is properly cooled prior to the separator then that moisture will be removed and tank/air temperature will not matter but that is all too often the problem. When using a refrigerated dryer the temperature of the incoming air is usually of little concern unless the system is being overwhelmed by the volume of air flow but for most installations, especially the home type like most of the people here will be dealing with, the temperature of the air leaving the tank can be very important due to the fact it may not have the opportunity to cool properly before entering the separator. A lot of people here have experienced what I am (and Kgus) talking about, their system seems to be moisture free until the compressor is under a heavy demand and then water problems appear. This is due to insufficient cooling, for the most part, between the tank and separator and even when the system works properly more water is collected in the separator than when the compressor is under less load and running cooler, of course the difference will be contained in the tank.

BTW, like you I too have been selling and installing/servicing compressors and air systems since 1971 so I do understand what you are saying it is just that it seems we may be talking about two different things.