Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DIY compressed air refrigerator
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old thread brought back to life.
I am going to assume this is for painting, with a HVLP gun
This is what I do. I have a small compressor, old Sears 3 HP, on a 20 gallon horizontal tank. The compressor has a regulator on it. It is in my garage. I do a lot of painting in a carport, 30 or 40 feet from the garage, or outside. But sometimes I will paint in the garage.
I also have an extra 20 gallon air tank.
When I am painting, I put the extra tank close to where I am painting. It also has a water trap on it.
I set the regulator on the air compressor to about 40 PSI, and run a hose to where ever the second tank is located. There is a water trap on the inlet of the second tank.
The air goes into the second tank, from the top, in the center. The air outlet on on one end of the second tank. I hook my spray gun up to the air outlet, and use a variable restrictor, with a pressure gauge at the gun to get the pressure I want at the gun, with the trigger pulled. I have not had a problem with water in the paint gun yet. but I live in western Oregon, so this system may be overwhelmed in Florida. Where I live, it is either cool and humid, or hot and dry. Rarely do we get high temperature, and high humidity.
My theory on what happens in my system. The air gets compressed, and heated. It loses some water in the compressor tank. Warm, humid air leaves the compressor tank, and goes through the regulator. The pressure drop there causes the air to cool some. Liquid water, and water vapor travel with the air through a host to the remote tank. The air continues to cool, and more water vapor condenses out of the air. At the second tank, the water trap catches the liquid water, and any liquid water that gets past the water trap, goes into the second tank. This air inlet is at the top of the tank, pointing down, and the water just goes to the bottom of the 20 gallon tank. The air going to the gun is pretty close to the ambient temperature, and is dry enough that it does not get below the dew point leaving the gun.