DIY Flame Thrower? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY Flame Thrower?

I've always wanted one for my car, especially with the new exhaust on.
Exhaust setup comprises of full length headers, x-pipe, Magnaflows and side pipes. I also don't have a cats so there should be quite a nice amount of raw fuel coming out the tips.

I'm aware how they used to do it way back when, but I'd like a setup where I don't wash down my cylinder walls with raw fuel or have to pull on a choke cable (don't have one anyways). I know that if I put the plugs before the mufflers, I get a pair of dynamite sticks going off. Also wouldn't want to pull spark and interrupt my ignition. So finding an available/pre-made spark control box is challenging so I decided that I'd try to get informed and build on myself.

I am well aware or the injury and legal risks of using these and I'd like to state that the only time I'll ever use them is in a vacant lot, for show purposes, or at 4am on a deserted highway.

I found these plans and I was curious to know what you all might think?
For the time being, my main concern is the ignition part and not the actual injection of the fuel since I may never in fact get around to injecting fuel into my pipes. I do however welcome any and all comments regarding these plans and if they'll work, or is there a better solution.
Thanks,

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

That will work, but you won't get 25 mpg with it!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

So the sparking portion of the plans are supposed to work, right?

Now I have two more questions regarding fuel injection according to the plans.

Why do I need two NOS fuel solenoids?

And my second question is, will a 7 psi fuel pump be enough or should I find one from a modern EFI car?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'd say you will only need dual solenoids if you want individual control of each pipe/injector, otherwise, one solenoid, Y-ed off to each side would be fine, and 7 psi should be plenty. You will have to adjust your jet sizing to accommodate whatever pressure you use anyway, the diagram shows .010 and up, might want to start with about a .025 and see what that does. The higher the pressure, the smaller jet needed to produce the same amount of flow as a bigger jet and lower pressure.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that Rickracer.

So my final question will have to be, since I have a side exit exhaust setup with only about 15" of pipe from the mufflers to the tips, should I have to worry about my mufflers blowing up vs. me having tailpipes?
Or should I simply only light them up while at speed?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'd make sure the nozzles are pointing out,
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have doing my own research on this matter and have a few plans for ignitors to drive the spark plugs and all of them involve at least one IC or transistor, this drawings have none I don't understand how will it work, specially considering that the terminal #87 of the relays that are next to the capacitor is not connected to anything so what circuit will the relay close?

I don't get it...

Augusto.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=Augusto;1218219]I have doing my own research on this matter and have a few plans for ignitors to drive the spark plugs and all of them involve at least one IC or transistor, this drawings have none I don't understand how will it work, specially considering that the terminal #87 of the relays that are next to the capacitor is not connected to anything so what circuit will the relay close?

The relay doesn't close a circuit to 87 it opens one from 87a which makes a "pulse" in the circuit much like a flasher does for a turn signal. If need be I can explain this further.

I realize this reply will more than likely fall on deaf ears but it might help someone that is finding this post for the first time.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9santa View Post
So the sparking portion of the plans are supposed to work, right?

Now I have two more questions regarding fuel injection according to the plans.

Why do I need two NOS fuel solenoids?

And my second question is, will a 7 psi fuel pump be enough or should I find one from a modern EFI car?
The dual solenoids are a safety control of sorts, last thing you want is a direct outlet to your fuel system if one of the solenoids fails to close. If you refer back to the diagram fuel flows from one to the other and then splits to nozzles.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
I have doing my own research on this matter and have a few plans for ignitors to drive the spark plugs and all of them involve at least one IC or transistor, this drawings have none I don't understand how will it work, specially considering that the terminal #87 of the relays that are next to the capacitor is not connected to anything so what circuit will the relay close?

I don't get it...

Augusto.
The idea is to make the relays "chatter" (i.e., flip off and on). This serves the same purpose as a set of points in that it creates a series of d/c "pulses" that are then "amplified" through the coil. That's all you really need to do. The drawback is that your pulses end up at the resonant frequency of the relay chatter (non-adjustable), but that's fine for this application.

Sometime I even consider doing this on my '64 Corvette. I have my exhaust crossover plumbed with an O2 bung for A/F readout (but unused) and I could attach a fitting for propane introduction just before the mufflers. But I sure would hate to burn the paint off the back of my car.

Last edited by toddalin; 10-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

old and forgotten thread, but since it came out of the grave, I think I'm gonna build the circuit with the two relays, might be interesting, even if I don't make the flame thrower it may end up zapping some bugs, critters or some other funny s4!t.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.