Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DIY Head Cleaning, crack detection suggestion
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Listen and Learn
Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

DIY Head Cleaning, crack detection suggestion

So... I tried this out a couple months ago and never realized to post it up here and get some extra input. I really like how some shops bake and shot heads and blocks but for some reason most places around me do not... So I thought well I can bake the heads.... and I have a blast cabinet.

Well ten minutes later I got out the propane burner base for my parents outside deep fryer and a metal garbage can and voila. I heated the heads up to about 425-450*F. I went in stages and took about 30min to get up to temp as to try to prevent me from ruining them from heating them up too quickly... I then let them bake for about a half hour to let all the oil and grease dry up. I did this to a set of heads I found in my shed. I am gonna order a crack detection kit soon.... any suggestions? This is the one im looking at ... The heads do not appear to be cracked from the naked eye but crack detection will tell me for sure.

But after that I put them in the blast cabinet and went to town on them... I think they turned out pretty good. Only thing that sucked was rotating the heads over a tote afterwards to try to get all the shot of out them lol. The heads still need a hot soapy scrubbing to get all the little stuff off of them but all in all not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111224_110934.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	65719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111224_133238.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	65720