Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DIY Head Cleaning, crack detection suggestion
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

DIY Head Cleaning, crack detection suggestion

So... I tried this out a couple months ago and never realized to post it up here and get some extra input. I really like how some shops bake and shot heads and blocks but for some reason most places around me do not... So I thought well I can bake the heads.... and I have a blast cabinet.

Well ten minutes later I got out the propane burner base for my parents outside deep fryer and a metal garbage can and voila. I heated the heads up to about 425-450*F. I went in stages and took about 30min to get up to temp as to try to prevent me from ruining them from heating them up too quickly... I then let them bake for about a half hour to let all the oil and grease dry up. I did this to a set of heads I found in my shed. I am gonna order a crack detection kit soon.... any suggestions? This is the one im looking at ... http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/skpokit1.html The heads do not appear to be cracked from the naked eye but crack detection will tell me for sure.

But after that I put them in the blast cabinet and went to town on them... I think they turned out pretty good. Only thing that sucked was rotating the heads over a tote afterwards to try to get all the shot of out them lol. The heads still need a hot soapy scrubbing to get all the little stuff off of them but all in all not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111224_110934.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	65719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111224_133238.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	65720