Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DIY Head Cleaning, crack detection suggestion
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Non ferrous metals is anything EXCEPT cast iron/steel Examples of non ferrous metals are aluminum, brass, bronze, pewter, zinc, etc.

That said, there's no real reason a dye/penetrant-type crack detector couldn't be used on ferrous metals, although I would want to look for a system designed for use w/ferrous metal if that's what I was working with.

I generally am rebuilding factory iron heads but I want to be able to do either steel or aluminum so would that dye kit be the better choice for me? I looked at the magnaflux kit for doing ferrous with the magnet and the electro magnet is expensive. I mean its a one time cost where as the kit I am looking at I will need to keep buying cans as I use them up.

I think at this point for how few heads I rebuild a year I will just buy that kit from cylinder head supply that I posted. It should last me a while and if I start doing a lot more then I will look into purchasing the electro magnet kit.