DIY Paint Booth air. Furnace Fans? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY Paint Booth air. Furnace Fans?

So I need to build a paint booth in the spring for the Mustang. I was going to go the PVC tubing and plastic way, but I still have exhaust to think about. So I found a good deal on a large furnace fan with a pulley driven fan, so no explosion, however, it then occured to me that it's a rather large fan, and I don't want negative pressure in the booth.

So should I try to find a bigger fan for the intake (Which wouldn't have to be explosion proof I suppose), or should I just use this fan as the intake, and have no outlet fan (Just a couple of filters). I'd be afraid of getting too much pressure in there and the booth either flying apart (Being plastic sheeting, and all), or just not having adequate exhuast.

Ideas, thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
boatbob2

Paint Booth.......

Hi,i would make the paint booth out of pvc and plastic,same as you.make a wooden frame to mount your fan,staple or tape plastic to frame,on other end make another wooden frame,and mount 2 large AC filters to the frame,again staple or tape plastic to wood,make booth at least4 ft larger than car (i prefer 6 ft larger) you wont need a fan by the end with the filters...WEAR A RESPIRATOR.2 or 3,, 8 ft long neon lights (mounted outside top plastic) makes seeing the car easy..ive been there and done this...works great.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Wait, so you have the fan pushing air in, then exiting through a filter, or going through a filter, then exiting through a fan?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
8 ft long neon lights (mounted outside top plastic) makes seeing the car easy.
Florescent lights not neon
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Depending on the paint type you use sometimes it's possible to not run the fan(s) all the time.. If your doing a base coat then clear coat for instance it is ok to put the base coat on in still air and just run the fans a little between coats. This will minimize air movement and dust/dirt movement as well and what little over spray that does settle back onto the car will even help build the color coat. It is during and after the last coat of clear that it's important to get the cloud of over spray away from the car.. Less is better when it comes to wind in the paint room.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

Milo

I have a negative pressure DIY paint area, are you saying I only need to run the exhaust fan after the final coat of clear?

thanks for any advice

Ron
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Yes ,,you'll be able to judge between base coats if the fan needs to go on to clear excess fog.. Remember to not open the door with the fan on.

Have the door at the downwind side of the car so the moving air doesn't drag debris onto the car when you move through the door..
Have the intake filter/opening at the opposite end..
Start clearing at the upwind end of the car near the filtered intake opening working toward the exhaust end..Run the fan during and after clear until the room is over spray empty and then turn the fan off and don't go in there for a while..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

I've painted many cars using box fans blowing out without filters on them. The whole "risk of explosion" concern is overblown paranoia. The only concern using uncovered fans is the paint building up on the motor over several paint jobs.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

It's possible to get enough solvent in the air to have an explosion, but by the time you do you won't be able to breath in there, even with a good mask. Basically, if you're still conscious it's not going to to go boom... not even close
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

cheap paint booth

I went to home depot and bought a cheap 1 car portable /tent like garage. It was under $200 with the sides. Bought a roll of furnace filter material and used a box fan to blow in and create a positive pressure. Make sure to filter the incoming air and create a filter for outgoing so you don't over pressure. Worked well and now I have a tent for yard parties.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.