DIY side cab and aerosol can shelf - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY side cab and aerosol can shelf

I know I don't post much here but I recently built a couple things I thought might be of interest, unfortunately it didn't occur to me til after they were finished so I have a few pics and I will try to explain how I did them.

The first is a simple little aerosol can holder for the side of your toolbox. They sell these but I was able to build one with some scrap metal I had laying around. First thing I did was make a bend to fit over the flange of my toolbox, did that in the metal brake. Next I figured out how deep I wanted the shelf and made a mark, then measured the width of the aerosol can and allowed for that. Finally I measured how high I wanted the front then bent it in the metal brake. Cut a couple side pieces and finished it up.

The next project was a side cab. I've wanted one for a while but I can't shell out the 300 some dollars craftsman wants so I decided to build one. I had a lot of the materials laying around for this project, but if you were to go out and buy them I would estimate about $100-$120 to build this.

The first thing I did was build myself 2 rectangles out of 3/4" square tube, and I have to say I had a heck of a time keeping these things square even with welding magnets and they still didn't come out perfect so if anyone with lots of welding experience has any tips I'd be more than happy to hear em.
After the 2 rectangular pieces were built the next step was to attach the legs i also used 3/4 inch square tube. Again I had some problems keeping these square but it turned out decent in the end. After I had my basic frame made I attached the sheet metal to one side, I used 20 gauge for that. I then attached the flange for it to hang over the toolbox, I made that out of 17 gauge metal.

Now the fun began when it was time for the drawers. My original plan was to make the drawers out of metal. After talking with my dad we decided on wooden drawers. We used 16 inch slides and had to weld some square tube to the sheet metal to get them to work. The drawers were made from whatever material we had laying around "eco friendly" lol. The drawers required some adjustments to get them working properly but nothing to major.
Since the cab will eventually get a door there was no room for pull handles so my dad came up with the idea to sand out kind of a half moon recess in them.

There are 2, 2" drawers and 1 3".

After that all that was left to do was paint.

The side cab still needs a door put on and the drawers painted but overall I think it turned out ok, I am not the best fabricator in the world so it doesn't look like one you buy from sears but it will work for me. If anyone else has built their own side cabs please share. I hope this proves useful to someone out there, thanks for reading.

This is a pic of the cabinet hanging on the toolbox.

And finally this is a pic of my toolbox now.

Thanks again for reading.

Pat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Good job and time well spent! Thanks for taking the time to share, I for one really enjoy seeing what others have built and DIY projects mean so much more than just taking something out of a box.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I thought you did a real good job also.......those should last you from now on.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Nice job! Of course, you realize you'll need to close in the bottom portion of the add-on cabinet. Especially if you plan on keeping the beer cold....

Really, though, it looks great and should last for years

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I hope they last me a while, I find the aerosol can shelf works great especially for some things you always need when working on vehicles, ie brake clean and pb blaster. Thanks again for checking it out.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Nice job !

This project is going on my "to do" list.

I think I'll try some wheels on it cause I move my toolbox once in a while for cleaning the area.

Thank's for the inspiration.

454 RATTLER
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'd love to copy your set up Pat, but I can't figure out how to get it all balanced on my carb.

[Seriously, nice fab work. There will definitely be some "clones" being put together in the near future.]
Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Cboy I think you might need some extra bracing to keep it balanced on there btw are you having any problems with your engine running rich with that air filter? lol Seriously though thanks for taking the time to look at it and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
Nice job !

This project is going on my "to do" list.

I think I'll try some wheels on it cause I move my toolbox once in a while for cleaning the area.

Thank's for the inspiration.

454 RATTLER
Just missed your post the last time i read this, the pic is kind of an optical illusion the side cab doesnt actually touch the ground, theres a good 6 inches or so of clearance so theres really no need for wheels

Thanks for replying good luck with your build and post some pics when your done!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Thanks, oldschoolrods.

It was an illusion and I guess I wasn't thinking either. It can't be that heavy.

I could always use the extra space so this is a good idea.

Thanks again !

454 RATTLER
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Well I finally got back to this project to finish the door, things have been crazy with graduating college and working on getting ready to move to the new job. but anyway here is how the door was built.

After cutting a piece of sheet metal to close to the dimensions needed, I laid out the bend lines, I don't have a picture of how I did this so I made a little drawing.

I laid my lines out at the proper dimension then at the point where they intersected, I cut out, which is indicated by the shaded area.

That allowed me to bend the door to this point

After that the next step was to cut 45 degree angles into the bends

At that point the edges can be hammered over, giving a rolled edge on the door, I had some problems with the door getting bent out of shape during this, I'm not exactly sure what can be done about that so if anyone has any tips, I'd gladly appreciate them.

This was the finished door before mounting to the cab.

And here is the door just mounted

And the finished product

Again, thanks for reading all this, hope to see some other people build this and I hope you dont mind looking at my lack of fab skills LOL.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Very cool fab work, oldschoolrods. I'm pretty handy making wood things, but I sometimes get jealous seeing what you metal guys can whip together.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 AM

old school tool box

When you have marked out lines of the door skin, before you turn the edge cut the corners on a 45 degree but 2mm outside the line marked. when the edge is turned there will be that extra 2mm which can be tapped forming a radius-ed corners, if you cut at at angle the cut edges will align perfectly. Great idea to move ore tools to the job next heavy duty wheels

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.