DIY SM465 rebuild? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 11:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY SM465 rebuild?

I'm thinking about doing a basic rebuild of my sm465. I was thinking just bearings, seals, and syncros. The tranny works pretty well except there is a bit of bearing noise at times and it recently developed an oil leak. I hear the sm465 is pretty much always noisy so I'm not too worried about that. I'm replacing the engine and clutch on my truck right now so I figured it would be a good time to freshen up the transmission as well. It's already out of the truck.

I've never rebuilt a transmission before. I am particularly interested in manual transmissions and I'm wondering if this would be a good one to learn on. My question is what do I need to know to do this? What is a good resource for learning? Is there a good book that'll go through the sm465? What special tools will I need?

I'm not afraid of a challenge and I believe I am mechanically adept. However, this truck is my daily driver and I can't afford to have it off the road more than a couple weeks. This can't turn into a big project.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. My options are 1. do it myself, or 2. put it back without a freshen and do it later (probably next year). I do not want to pay somebody to do it because as I mentioned, I find manual transmissions particularly interesting and I want to learn sometime.
thanks,
dh

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 12:56 AM

These trannies are abundant, if you have a couple $ laying around buy one an play with it till you get comfortable with its working and assembly, Then you will be an authority on them and have you a spare. If I'm not mistaken Novak sales a full rebuild kit for it or may have been Advance Adapters cant remember exactly were I seen it at but it was one of the two. These trannies replaced the earlier 420's, If you have a 6.0 first gear model, those cats will pull a house down and are damn bullet proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 AM

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa...131_0208_tran/

This wont take you through the rebuild but you can at least look at it.

A good Chiltons (Black one) or Motors Manual (The blue one) will get you through it pretty easy.

Last edited by 56Maynard; 05-24-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Very nice link, Looks like it should help me out quite a bit. I am installing an adapter plate to bolt a Dana 300 transfer case to the back of one of these transmissions, and looks like it has exactly what I needed to know.

Does anybody know of a place that sells actual book manuals for these transmissions? I wouldn't mind having a hardcopy of a bit more indepth DIY
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM

Bump... Anybody?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.