DIY tranny rebuild? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 03:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY tranny rebuild?

I'm debating whether to do a high performance rebuild of my TH 350...is it a reasonable idea for a novice? I have some experience with engines but this is a whole new ball game. Should I use a standard video for rebuilding or are there videos specifically for higher performance rebuilds? I haven't found any only one on Amazon.com. I would appreciate any feedback on this, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Hi Marcus.. My suggestion is go for it!!!

I recently tackled my first HT350 tranny and had fun and it works perfectly. My suggestion is to get This book here or one like it.

I got one by HP books and it walked me through every step. I also enlisted the help of a local tranny builder at Aamco! He came highly recommended by the parts supplier here that I used, TranStar. He was a life saver on helping me judge good/bad/marginal parts.

There are a few things that you will probably need a tranny shop to do, but its not a biggie. The hardest if you don't have the tools, it compressing the apply piston springs so you can remove the pistons to change the sealing rings. Again, its no biggie for any shop and actually, the book shows how to do it your self, but I buggered up one spring and decided to get help. The guy never charged me a dime for all the help and a few parts that I needed that didn't come it the kit.

Get a good book, pay close attention and keep everything CLEAN!!! Have the parts and case vatted after its apart. Or atleast have the case vatted and then clean the parts in order in a big bucket of lacquer thinner as you go. Thats how I did mine so I could keep things in order.

I'm now ready for the next one and can't wait. I feel confident enought now to dive in full speed.

I'd also suggest you put the cheapy "shift inprover" kit in it too. Its about $15 and made mine shift real nice.

Also, take the valve body apart and clean it good!!! I'd suspect that lots of people get scared on the VB and put it back in without cleaning it good. It's actually very simple and pretty hard to screw up, since the shift kit has a detailed picture of the valves and springs.

There are 2 excellent builders that hang out on the this board, Crosley and Airworld, and they know their stuff big time! I'm sure they can anwer any questions as they arrise.

Mark
Old 04-03-2004, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice...this gives me confidence that I can do it myself. I rebuilt my engine using one of these books and everything turned out ok so I figure I can do the same with my transmission. I think I'm going to get a book like the one you recommended and a video.

Last edited by Marcus; 04-03-2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:23 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

DO IT!!! I just finished mine about 400 miles ago, and it is still going strong. It really isn't that difficult. I was VERY intimidated when I got my rebuild kit, but once you tear it apart, it is pretty simple. I got the video from www.technicalvideos.com , and it is a pretty awesome video. I just watched it twice, and then went out and did it. There is some type of huge pride and satisfaction when you put that thing into gear and GO!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:51 AM

Last photo:

I was wondering if you had to purchase some expensive tools to rebuild your transmission. Otherwise this sounds very encouraging to me. I did check out that website and the videos look very good.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:56 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Well you don't NEED the special tools, but I ended up buying a spring compressor from them, just because it makes life so much easier. I would really recomend buying and watching the video, before deciding on tools. You can actually make your own spring compressor, and I did. However it won't work for everything you want it to. Like I said though, buy the video and watch it before deciding...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.