Hot Rod Forum banner

Do I disconnect the battery?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Seon 
#1 ·
Should I disconnect the battery when using a mig welder on the car. I used to always do this if using the arc welder but am not sure with the mig.
Thanks
Jeremy

#6 ·
jjl said:
Should I disconnect the battery when using a mig welder on the car. I used to always do this if using the arc welder but am not sure with the mig.
Thanks
Jeremy
Doc here, :pimp:

Depending on the Vehicle year and outfit..

The answer is YES ......

Disconnect BOTH cables, as I remember the welder frequency travels from ground to stinger...

In addition to that, Disconnect and remove the Vehicle Computer To be safe!!Sounds like over~kill huh? But that welder Frequency can back travel through the senders and into the Quad Buffers..and can damage The Confuser..I'd Also pull the plugs from any Modern CD/Radios, Cell phones, Digi Clocks, anything Electronic, Op~amp or static charged archeteture...just to be safe (especially if it wasn't my vehicle..customer)

OR, you could go the other route.. :confused:

Leave it all hooked up..Electronic Troubleshooting expands the minds horizions...and builds character.. :D

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.