Do I Have Stupid Stamped On My Forehead? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 04:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Do I Have Stupid Stamped On My Forehead?

The battery indicator light came on in my Mark VIII so I took it to Canadian Tire to get it checked out. As I suspected the alternator was toast. The service mgr. told me a rebuilt unit would cost me $500, and with inst. and taxes it would total about $700. The other options were a new one from Ford at over $1000 with inst. and taxes incl., or one from the local Pick and Pull installed for about $425, tax and labor incl.

The guy called every wrecking yard within a 50 mile radius and said none could be found, so I would have to go with a rebuilt unit. I declined and told him I would have to think about it.

I went home, called the nearest auto wrecker (Autoland in Delhi), and picked one up for $50 with a 90 day warranty. It took 20 minutes to install. I'm not knocking Canadian Tire in particular, but are these automotive service centers on drugs or what?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

being the bastard that i am, i would have to call the service manager and tell him he is on crack, and how you got one for 50$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

its not a stupid sign but SUCKER instead

The dude thought you would trust him and didn't expect you to leave without him selling you on the rebuilt or new alt. You came away ahead of the game man, you suckered him into trouble shooting the problem and you fixed it for $50 bucks!!! My wife took the Caddy in for a Free brake inspection and they told her it would cost $1000 to fix the brakes. She told them she would have to talk to me first and they tried to make her have it towed home, she didn't . I changed the shoes and the was the problem for $30 . Professional ripoffs man, gotta watch who you go to!

Todd

Rat RodsRule!
Old 08-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Moral of the story:

Never have your car serviced at Canadian Tire

They can't even change a tire properly, how can they do alternators?

Women are especially at risk, BEWARE!!!!!!!

Chickie.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:26 PM

Quote:
[i]

Women are especially at risk, BEWARE!!!!!!!

Chickie. [/B]
Chickie; You mean they service women as well as cars at Canadian Tire??
Old 08-27-2003, 05:47 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by kitkar
Chickie; You mean they service women as well as cars at Canadian Tire??
SHHHHHH......., don't let Chuck know man!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

Chickie.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Canadian Tire must be on a side street on the wrong side of the tracks. At that rate, five alternators a month for a few years and I could pay cash for a new shop. Only one problem - finding the customers... I know there's a new one born every day but that's rediculous! <chuckle>

You can buy a rebuilt short block down here for $500, US funds, no core.

"Thinking it over" was WAY smart
Old 08-27-2003, 10:46 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chick Women are especially at risk, BEWARE!!!!!!! Chickie.
Yep,my mother drags me to the garage with here every time she needs her car fixed.I don't think its cause I know cars well though,I think its cause I'm 6' 249lbs and dress like a biker.
She allways gets fair prices so there must be some logic behind it.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:58 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

sorry people.....

I just got off the phone with my dad, my sister was leaving work, saw she had a low tire, went to the discount tire she bought the tires at to get it aired up, and they tried to sell her a front end alignment.....

all of my wifes single friends come over when they have car trouble, cos they've all been screwed by the local shops......
I've had a woman bring her car over, it had been overheating, she had been charged $60 for a t-stat change.....on a dodge magnum ram....... and it was still running warm.... i flushed the radiator out, and it was fine..... the shop wanted $180 to flush the rad. and i guarantee they wouldn't have done it with love.....
Old 08-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

What a cowinkidink!! Just today I worked on a late model Ford owned by a single mom. She was told after an oil change the car needed an air filter,$70 belt, brakes and rotors and inspection. I asked her what belt costs $70. She didn't know and told me a serpentine something. I went...uhhh.....no...not for $70!! It turns out after using her free oil change coupon she won in a contest all of this stuff turns up. I told her that is what the problem was. After the FREE oil change the BAS#@%^s needed to make some real money! The car sure did need a PA inspection sticker, other than that.....NOTHING!!!! The air cleaner was fine, belt was in good shape and the brakes were 5B! She left with a huge smile after I charged her $21.00.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

I am always amazed at the difference in storys my wife and I get from parts places. Must be a law, I don't know!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:09 AM

BAR

The Bureau of Automotive repair in Cali is pretty darn good at keeping our shops in check, they run undercover cars all the time, so for those shops that oversell beware.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:28 AM
il enforcer

The ex wife took her Taurus in to Crappy Tire to get the tranny repaired.

They had the balls to charge her the minimum 1hr to replace a turn signal bulb ( x 3 @ $82/hr) even though they were doing the transmission at the same time. I called them and asked why they ripped her off. Their only response was Opps. Sorry. It took me going down there with my camcorder filming their staff before they refunded her money

They wanted over $1700 to do the head gasket on my Voyager Turbo. It only cost me about $125 for parts and I have spent less than 2 hours so far with maybe another 2 by the time it is done. If I can do it in 4 hours why can't a licensed mechanic do it in the same time frame?

Quote:
Originally posted by tm454
The dude thought you would trust him and didn't expect you to leave without him selling you on the rebuilt or new alt. You came away ahead of the game man, you suckered him into trouble shooting the problem and you fixed it for $50 bucks!!! My wife took the Caddy in for a Free brake inspection and they told her it would cost $1000 to fix the brakes. She told them she would have to talk to me first and they tried to make her have it towed home, she didn't . I changed the shoes and the was the problem for $30 . Professional ripoffs man, gotta watch who you go to!

Todd
Rat RodsRule!
I am in the wrong business. That would be over $900 for that one repair. If you did only the one repair per day, five days a week,you would be rich. I could live off of $4500 each week.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

This is why I learned at least the basics about engines and cars in general. So I could tell when I was being ripped off and tell them where to stick their "service".
Also, so that I could fix the simple stuff by myself and not have to depend on the kindness of the roadside samaritan. (That can be dangerous too!) Thank goodness I have 4 Jaw Chuck to take care of most of these things, don't know what I'd do without his big brain around the house.

Chickie.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.