Do I need to epoxy fiberglass? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
so the dura tec doesn't shrink so much ..... right? sounds like something worth trying I got a perfect car to try it on.....

The duratec is very stable.

I am recommending Duratec for application over fiberglass substrates. If you want to shoot this over steel, there are a couple of extra steps you need to do to the substrate.

I'm not familiar with them, my experience is with fiberglass parts. This thread is about priming fiberglass parts.

As for the problems you might have with forgetting to add catalyst...well ...you will only do that once, and that is your problem, not the primer's problem.

Later, mikey

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

that works great for paint CJ but this stuff can go on 1/4" thick if you want it too (I call it spray bondo) I actually had to scrape it off with a putty knife first,also I prayed for three days for it to get hard and it kinda did but you could dig it out...what a mess but those days lauquer primer was the industry standerd,hardner was new to us
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

True. I was lucky to never forget the hardener. I will have to admit that todays products have improved quite a bit. In the old days if you used anything with reducer you were pretty much screwed in reworking anything. This 64 chevy I'm doing I used reducer in the 2K primer till I ran out of reducer then tried a mix with some thinner and got no lift like I would back in the days. Got so confident with it we bought some single stage PPG enamel with hardener and I reduced it with Dupont 3661S thinner with no problems, Just like I used to in the old days. Only painted the hood,bed and tailgate so far. Plan on painting the rest tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ok so basically doing metal work you strip, spray with epoxy, do filler work, spray with 2K urethane primer, block and then epoxy prime as sealer and paint. Doing fiberglass you'd just have to spray either featherfill or dura tech, block, prime with epoxy as sealer, and paint?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Use epoxy on fiberglass first ,just like bare metal,but "Shine" is the local fiberglass expert,I'd talk to him before I started stripping a vette...but as for metal thats the basic idea ,yes...strip,epoxy,bodywork,epoxy again,.....sandwich your bodywork....after that theres many options and proceedures...the choice is yours....theres advantage's and disadvantages to each...once its epoxied and bodywork is done find out about each proceedure and pick the one that best suits you.It gets complicated so take your time, do your homework......but forget about feather fill its hard sanding and theres much better and cheaper products out there...powerrodsmike,has some great primer he uses on big molds,he swears by it so it must be good,ask him about it if your interested

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-17-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.