Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Do I need a high volume oil pump?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
I am about to begin the build on this SBC 350 (+.060") shortblock and am trying to find a good oil pump. It has been suggested that I use a high volume, standard pressure pump by my uncle. I see Melling has a +10% and a +25% volume over OEM pump and these are the units I am considering.

I figure more is better, but if I am pumping more oil, I assume it is going to use horsepower to do it. So should I stick with the +10% unit? BTW this is a performance street motor (no track/strip time) and should be around the 375-400 HP mark with a hydraulic flat tappet cam.
Thanks!
Theres no need to use anything but a stock pump on that build. The best thing you can do is open up and smooth out the drainback holes so the upper end oil can drain back quicker. If you were going to be running excessive RPM's for long periods of time, it may be worth the HV pump. When you use a HV pump, you really need to install a larger oil pan. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.