Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Do I need a high volume oil pump? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/do-i-need-high-volume-oil-pump-221481.html)

Silver Surfer 07-09-2012 03:28 PM

Do I need a high volume oil pump?

I am about to begin the build on this SBC 350 (+.060") shortblock and am trying to find a good oil pump. It has been suggested that I use a high volume, standard pressure pump by my uncle. I see Melling has a +10% and a +25% volume over OEM pump and these are the units I am considering.

I figure more is better, but if I am pumping more oil, I assume it is going to use horsepower to do it. So should I stick with the +10% unit? BTW this is a performance street motor (no track/strip time) and should be around the 375-400 HP mark with a hydraulic flat tappet cam.
Thanks! :thumbup:

327NUT 07-09-2012 03:40 PM

A standard Melling M-55 is really all you need, if you want a little more use the 10% but it's not necessary.

S10 Racer 07-09-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer (Post 1572249)
I am about to begin the build on this SBC 350 (+.060") shortblock and am trying to find a good oil pump. It has been suggested that I use a high volume, standard pressure pump by my uncle. I see Melling has a +10% and a +25% volume over OEM pump and these are the units I am considering.

I figure more is better, but if I am pumping more oil, I assume it is going to use horsepower to do it. So should I stick with the +10% unit? BTW this is a performance street motor (no track/strip time) and should be around the 375-400 HP mark with a hydraulic flat tappet cam.
Thanks! :thumbup:

Theres no need to use anything but a stock pump on that build. The best thing you can do is open up and smooth out the drainback holes so the upper end oil can drain back quicker. If you were going to be running excessive RPM's for long periods of time, it may be worth the HV pump. When you use a HV pump, you really need to install a larger oil pan. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Silver Surfer 07-09-2012 03:43 PM

In what situations do you need a high volume oil pump?

Silver Surfer 07-09-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer (Post 1572253)
Theres no need to use anything but a stock pump on that build. The best thing you can do is open up and smooth out the drainback holes so the upper end oil can drain back quicker. If you were going to be running excessive RPM's for long periods of time, it may be worth the HV pump. When you use a HV pump, you really need to install a larger oil pan. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

I am trying to take this engine to 6,500 RPM on occasion. I guess that doesn't constitute "running excessive RPM's for long periods of time".

S10 Racer 07-09-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer (Post 1572256)
I am trying to take this engine to 6,500 RPM on occasion. I guess that doesn't constitute "running excessive RPM's for long periods of time".

No, it don't........unless you're running from the law across the state :nono:

35WINDOW 07-09-2012 03:55 PM

I will go with most here, however you want to make certain that whichever Melling Pump you decide to buy is from their "Select" Series-Melling has "cheapened" their low end offerings (the rumor is that the Big 3 wanted them to make them lighter in thier quest for fuel mileage, but I cannot confirm this)-

Anyway, there have been many reports of Pump failures due to high rpm and the resulting vibration breaking the casting at the "neck"-and you know what the end result is-:spank:

78 monte 07-09-2012 04:00 PM

M-55
Make sure you use a nice steel sleeved pinned pump shaft and toss the stock shaft and that plastic POS that comes in the stock gasket kit.

S10 Racer 07-09-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78 monte (Post 1572264)
M-55
Make sure you use a nice steel sleeved pinned pump shaft and toss the stock shaft and that plastic POS that comes in the stock gasket kit.

No doubt!!!!!!!!!!

35WINDOW 07-09-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

M-55

Most (if not all) of the Melling Select Pumps come with a good hardened steel drive shaft-

35WINDOW 07-09-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

M-55

On this I will respectfully disagree-it is the M55 that was cheapened up-you want one of the 105-- Series pumps for the Select Series-generally, if the Pump is under $40 it's the cheap one-the Select Series go for about $100, or you could always buy a Billet Pump-:rolleyes:

This thread was the first to come up on Google for me, but there are many, many more if you look-

• View topic - Before you buy your next oil pump *

78 monte 07-09-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35WINDOW (Post 1572279)
On this I will respectfully disagree-it is the M55 that was cheapened up

Ah I see.....been awhile since I bought one.Good to know for my next build.

bracketeer 07-10-2012 01:16 AM

hv pump

HV pumps are for low idling motors. Such as 4 wheel drives. High Rpm motors have oil restrictors installed in the back of the block to keep the oil in the pan instead of the tops of the heads.

Mr. P-Body 07-10-2012 07:39 AM

Agreed, M-55. We use this pump in lower-level circle track engines without issues. The "Select" pump is fine. DO NOT use a "high volume" or "high pressure" pump for a 350 "mained" small block. The only application we use a HV pump in a small block is for 400s w/solids.

Also agree, "sleeved" pump drive shaft (Melling IS-55E).

Restrictors are used only with solid lifters (flat or roller).

The failures of pump bodies DOES occur on occasion, as previously stated. We've found the stock pump to be fine for tha vast majority of street applications.

FWIW

Jim

Silver Surfer 07-10-2012 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Based on this thread and other misc research on the net, I have decided a standard pump is all I need. M-55 it is!