Hot Rod Forum banner

Do I need to open up the "X" member?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  27Tall T 
#1 ·
The picture is of my 1935 Buick X member. I will remove all brake parts and items that are not needed for a clean opening. Those of you that have worked on these style GM cars did you widen the X member for better clearance for the drive shaft and access to the end of trans.
I am using a 700r4 and Ford Explorer rear. It looks tight and may work leaving it stock.
Thanks for any ideas and advise.

Watercooled

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The picture is of my 1935 Buick X member. I will remove all brake parts and items that are not needed for a clean opening. Those of you that have worked on these style GM cars did you widen the X member for better clearance for the drive shaft and access to the end of trans.
I am using a 700r4 and Ford Explorer rear. It looks tight and may work leaving it stock.
Thanks for any ideas and advise. Watercooled
I'd leave everything stock that has to do with frame/chassis integrity unless something is rubbing on something. A miss is as good as a mile.

#7 ·
:) I have a '37 Pontiac Coupe and the frame looks identical to what you have. I ran a 350 Turbo trans and didn't need to cut or trim anything. When I went with the 200 trans (same length as the 350), I did have to trim a bit for more clearance. The 700 trans is definitely longer and will require more adaptation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.