do I need sealer??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

do I need sealer???

The tech sheet for Dupont Nason Full-Base Basecoat says "SEALER (Required)" and lists a couple of there sealers you can use. The salesman at NAPA said I don't need it unless I'm painting over old paint. I want to paint over epoxy primer over metal. The fact that the tech sheet says "SEALER Required" scares the heck out of me as I'm trying to only do this once. Who do I believe??? What do you experts say???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

As long as you don't have any bare metal or "bondo" showing you don't need the sealer. But if either of the two are showing you will need to seal them. Nason may have adhesion problems on the bare metal. And the "bondo" may bleed through the base coat.

So if you have a solid surface of Epoxy you will be alright.

I usually seal everything with Epoxy that has been reduced and apply my base coat in approx one hour later over the reduced Epoxy/sealer. Makes good for adhesion purposes.

Frank
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Required sealer

Hi daoldbuick ,
I agree with Countilaw, in that if your epoxy surface is sound/solid you will probably be o.k. ,as epoxy is basically a sealer in itself. However, the paint you are using may need sealer for proper color holdout .If you have any primer spots, paint overspray(maybe from painting jambs),spots where the epoxy is maybe a different color due to sand throughs, slightly off mixing ratios(hey,it happens),or several other factors, your topcoat paint color can often be GREATLY affected . Nason paints are a budget version of DuPont paint , and the color may not 'hide' as well as more expensive paints do. In my past PROFESSIONAL experience ,if the sealer color is not of one SOLID color,you may be able to see through the paint at any possible surface color variations . This would result in having to put on several more coats of basecoat than is either recommended, or, needed just to hide the variations .If your epoxy is all one color, I'd go for it ! If not, I'd use the sealer, it is WAAAYYY cheaper than more paint & especially if the paint says sealer is recommended .
Just my $.02 worth, GOOD LUCK , Rick
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Guys. I'll just paint over the epoxy then. The guy that sold me the paint was supposed to know what he was talking about but now that I have a second/third opinion I can proceed with more confidence. I'm hoping to paint the dash, firewall, door jams, etc. this weekend. Thanks again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.