Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   do i need sealer (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/do-i-need-sealer-234613.html)

kody123 07-04-2013 10:40 AM

do i need sealer

do i need to spray sealer after on after i finish 2 coats of 2k primer? my finish coat will be single stage black urethane, thanks.

carolinacustoms 07-04-2013 11:21 AM

As a precaution, I would seal it. However a 2K urethane primer does not need to be seal coated unless there are any sand through areas.

Kelly

69 widetrack 07-04-2013 01:07 PM

As much as Kelly's advice is sound, it all boils down to substrate. If your substrate is solid, consistent and compatable to your top coat...ie fully cured single stage urethane, prepped with proper grit of sand paper (600 wet, 400 dry for base coat) sealer is not required.

Look at it this way, if a body shop is doing a spot repair on a fender and have primed the repaired damaged area with a quality 2K primer, do they seal the fender? NO...the sealer would cover the color in the blend area not allowing for a blend of color. Sealer is meant to give the vehicle being painted a uniform substrate, if you have a uniform substrate....why seal it? It's just another product that costs money, keeps you in the paint booth longer and gives you more opportunity to get dirt or whatever other imperfections that might occur in your new paint job.

Hope this helps.

Ray

kody123 07-04-2013 03:16 PM

thank you for the info.

69 widetrack 07-04-2013 03:39 PM

Not a problem, always happy to help, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards
Ray

carolinacustoms 07-04-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1691108)
As much as Kelly's advice is sound, it all boils down to substrate. If your substrate is solid, consistent and compatable to your top coat...ie fully cured single stage urethane, prepped with proper grit of sand paper (600 wet, 400 dry for base coat) sealer is not required.

Look at it this way, if a body shop is doing a spot repair on a fender and have primed the repaired damaged area with a quality 2K primer, do they seal the fender? NO...the sealer would cover the color in the blend area not allowing for a blend of color. Sealer is meant to give the vehicle being painted a uniform substrate, if you have a uniform substrate....why seal it? It's just another product that costs money, keeps you in the paint booth longer and gives you more opportunity to get dirt or whatever other imperfections that might occur in your new paint job.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Good information Ray. I took for granted he was painting the entire car from his post, but I should have elaborated more as you did. Thanks for reading my mind and posting what I was thinking :D.

Kelly

69 widetrack 07-05-2013 09:27 AM

Well Kelly, why don't we just call it team work, LOL...the advice you give is always valid.

I've always been one to avoid using sealer whenever possible. The way I look at it, if I need sealer, there is something suspect about my substrate and that's always scary.

Ray

kody123 07-05-2013 02:36 PM

thats the reason i like to ask, there is a lot of good information on this site, thanks again.