Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Do I need to topcoat my floor
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyscool
Thanks Trees for all that info, and I'm prepared for all the prep work. But does anybody know or has an solid epoxy floor without its top coat in their garage? The saleman will try to sell me the top coat for the product that I will choose, I remember poaring an epoxy floor on the temporary quarters for offshore and there was no top coat applied. These floors finished off very nice, I cant remember what the exact product was though.

I used Sherwin Williams 2part epoxy on my smaller garage 2 years ago. 30+ year old concrete - no clear coat and seems to be holding ok - I don't work out of that side ...

I thought it was much too expensive though - 500+ for a small 2 car garage. The 2 part epoxy mix is a pain, the ratios make it difficult to just mix up a small amount for touch ups.

I am just now finishing a "paint" area in my shop - same story, 30 year old concrete - but this time I had double the area to cover so used a 1 part epoxy base from Ace and a 1 part epoxy clear coat.

I decided to go this direction for price - 1/3 the cost of the other products, and ease of touch up - open the can, stir and apply!

Much easier to maintain as the "paint area" is going to get overspray, paint splatter etc.

Will it hold up as well?

I won't know for a while - but it was a lot lighter on my checkbook and should be cheaper to maintain overtime in this application.