Do I really need Camaro sub frame?? 51 Chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Do I really need Camaro sub frame?? 51 Chev

I was all set to try and put a Camaro sub frame on my 51 Chevy project. First off I don't want to cut my 60 yr old perfectly good frame. Second, the stock suspension doesn't seem all that different from the Camaro, except of course the disc brakes which I can add using the kit off ebay.
I'm 62 so I remember driving these old cars, and at the time they didn't seem all that bad.
I've dubbed around with IH Scouts and light trucks but have never done much with suspension except to swap springs and axles.
A sub frame swap seems suited for a more talented person than me. I've read up on the Mustang ll units but I can't afford that.
I am putting a 283 in the car and I'm sure I'll have no serious problems with the mounting.
So I guess brings me to my question.
I'm a new guy on this site and so far I'm quite pleased with the level of knowledge and the willingness to share it. BTW I will put a better rear axle in. Thanks for any response.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

car or truck?

I've got 4 70"s & 80's jag suspensions on pallets lined up to go in our projects.. Jag conversions are very popular in the UK, australia and N Z the local yards charge us $ 100 each for front or rear, we pull . They are mounted on a drop out crosmember. big brakes, rear steer R & P chevy 4.75 wheels fit. dana -salsberry 44 gears . A lot of picts posted on the HAMB site about jag conversions. 53sled posted his build of his car, the frames are the same for those years... check out the HAMB "" Jaguar IFS swap onto 1953 Chevy Coupe w/ pics""

Last edited by timothale; 03-01-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks much for the info. That looks like something I could handle. Hopefully I can find a Jag up here in NH. The yards crushed soooo many nice old vehicles the last time scrap was high. Maybe someone with some insight saved a few of these. Regards, Mike
Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

re : Do I really need Camaro sub frame?? 51 Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woodman
I was all set to try and put a Camaro sub frame on my 51 Chevy project. First off I don't want to cut my 60 yr old perfectly good frame. Second, the stock suspension doesn't seem all that different from the Camaro, except of course the disc brakes which I can add using the kit off ebay.
I'm 62 so I remember driving these old cars, and at the time they didn't seem all that bad.
I've dubbed around with IH Scouts and light trucks but have never done much with suspension except to swap springs and axles.
A sub frame swap seems suited for a more talented person than me. I've read up on the Mustang ll units but I can't afford that.
I am putting a 283 in the car and I'm sure I'll have no serious problems with the mounting.
So I guess brings me to my question.
I'm a new guy on this site and so far I'm quite pleased with the level of knowledge and the willingness to share it. BTW I will put a better rear axle in. Thanks for any response.
I'm my honest opinion, since I upgraded my own front end on my '50 Chevy, I would ( if in your shoes ) add that disc brake upgrade from E-bay, and also check out all the cool stuff, you can add to your current { '54 Chev -compatible with '53 Chev Corvette ) hardware, which I have also done to my own front-end.
I personally like the box frame and it's strength, and saw no reason why I should hack up my front end, if I can simply upgrade it all with bolt ons !
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM

I found an 89 XJ6 with a seized motor but everything else in good shape. There seems to be some confusion as to wheather this is a series three or four car. I don't have the front end out yet but it looks like a fit. Not sure if I'll use the rear axel too. I am going to use those comfy seats. I'm thinking if I use lots of parts from the Jag I should call my (51) Chevy a Chevuar. I brought the 283 (1965) heads to the machine for inspection/magflux. I won't spring for the hardened valve seats, I'll just use the addative. My income has decreased dramatically so unfortunately I'll need to be frugal. Maybe I should have found a newer motor. Thanks for al the input. I'd post pics but it's not much to look at just yet.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I have done a handfull of these vehicles and I recommend using the stock suspension and aftermarket brakes as long as you are fine without powersteering. You can get a bushing kit from paragon. This link should help you. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...9-1954_Chevys/

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.