Do it myself? Please help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2003, 09:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Do it myself? Please help!

GRRR!
My once beautiful GMC truck fell victim to petit theft, in which the perps attacked both door handles with screwdrivers.

I've gotten two estimates, one for $600 and another for $800. I can't afford this in the near future.

I was thinking about shaving the door handles, and trying to do this repair myself. I have no experience and in my mind it seems to be easier to just shave them off, rather than attempt to return them to their original state.

So, I was just at Pep Boys and noticed how inexpensive the materials and tools were. Perhaps $50 (not including paint)? I saw an aluminum mesh with an adhesive backing that's ready to stuck and be bondo'd. As a complete newbie, what are my chances of making these things near perfect my first time out? I won't do the paint myself more than likely. As for the internal workings of the shaved door, would I be able to use the door lock motor as the door popper?

Any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Phillip

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Victim ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Phillip, Have no fear I is here! Repairing your current predicament is easy. You don't need any of that value mart bondo. Never use that stuff unless your a mold or something cheap and just goofing off. It doesn't look from the pictures that you need any filler, just a bit of hammer work, two new handles and some touch up painting and your back to better than new. I can walk you through this with no problem, so just relax.
If your really considering shaved handles, its alot more work, but if your up for it I can help you out with that as well. Send me an e-mail and tell me what you have done before, or what are your skills and I'll be happy to help.

HK
Old 01-22-2003, 06:41 PM

Hey HalloweenKing, Thanks for your reply.

I'm not dead set on shaving the handles, especially if it would be more difficult.

Could you give me a step-by-step guide to hammering these dents out? Door handles are cheap, $50. The shrinking hammer I saw at PepBoys was cheap too. So this would be great if I could do this myself.

Let's assume that I have the interior door panels off, the door handles are out, and I have a metal shrinking hammer in hand. What do I do? What else do I need?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Phillip, email me at Fausts_Davincis@hotmail.com I'll be glad to help you out, also include the photos if possible, I will be happy to tell you how.

HK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.