Hot Rod Forum banner

DO NOT USE QUICKFUEL's 175 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP - FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ethn_bert 
#1 ·
I know quickfuel 175 pump is a race only pump, but I want to inform the few racers that lurk around here.

I put a new quickfuel pump on my car last week. I made 5 passes this last saturday and it started spewing fuel. There are no seals between the electric motor and the pump. There is only a brass bushing. They used a cheap casting for the top of the motor with cheap screws. Obviously any significant wear or misalignment and fuel will pass between the bushing and the shaft. THIS ALLOWS FUEL INTO THE ELECTRIC MOTOR and out of the pump. I sprayed fuel all over the inside of my slick at the starting line and darn near kissed the wall when I launched!!

Furthermore, if your pump is mounted below the fuel cell, like mine, fuel will continue to run out! This crappy design ruined my trailer, smells like fuel inside of it, and almost killed me from the ffumes Thank god i didnt flip my lights on in the trailer! The scary part is I had no clue! Last saturday I spun out, lost and put her in the trailer. I never thought twice about it. I am glad I took today off to get the car ready for another race this upcoming Saturday; only because I found this mess and stopped a potential fire hazard.

Not only do I have to deal with my car and trailer smelling like fuel, but I can't race until I find another pump. I wasted a vacation day and lost a good weekend of racing.

I am one ticked off dude right now. Im thinking of calling a lawyer before calling the company. :evil:

Sorry for the rant, but I want to people to know how unsafe this inferior product is!

See less See more
#2 ·
I spoke with the company that I bought it from. He assured me there is supposed to be a seal. He opened another pump, easy to do since they are rebuildable, that he had in stock and found a seal. I am exchanging the pump tomorrow. I am still frustrated and uneasy about the QFT 175. I might return this pump and buy a different brand/style.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. You may have saved someone elses ride as well just by posting this. Could be a whole bunch of them out there just as defective.
Good lookin out . :thumbup:
Fire is OK if your cookin burgers, but thats pretty much it. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.