Hot Rod Forum banner

Do these 400SBC specs seem doable

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TorkMonster400 
#1 · (Edited)
Need Help with cam for this setup. Plz

I'm in the process of building a 400 small block Chevy, I have had the motor in a relatives garage for the last couple of years waiting for me to put some wrenching in on it. Now the motor has become a necesity to finish but on a slimmed down budget. I have a lot of parts that I have got at incredible deals (I have family in the parts biz). Some of the parts I know are just ok to some pro's but this is a budget built street daily driver (until I buy a Honda scooter or something to save on arm$leg gas$$$). This is not a Strip only motor but will see some passes like 2 or 3 every six months or so :mwink:

1975 GM 400 small block casting #330817
Summit oil kit in a box Deal
GM L98 58cc heads ported/polished intake and exhaust matched w/500 lift springs and one piece stainless valves
Comp stainless roller rocker 1.5 self-Aligning
cometic MLS head .041" gasket
Scat 9000 series crankshaft 400 main, 3.75 ,5.7,ext balance
Eagle 4340 H-beam 5.7 rods ARP2000 capscrews, bushed
K/B hypereutectic pistons +30.00cc dish D shaped cup
speed pro moly rings
Cam ???????? I need a lot of help on this I was thinkin in the 450 to 470 range please help me with this! PWR in 1500 to 6000 range.
RPM air gap intake
B/G Speed Demon 750 dbl pump electric choke w/annular booster's installed at B/G factory (Uncle took a tour of the factory and had them installed while he waited cool huh)
summit version of 6AL and billet distributor
1.5 inch shorty headers
flowmaster exhaust

Like I said I know some of the parts are not great but It's What I have. Some parts were gifts others I paid very little for. Any opinions are appreciated and please help me with cam selection

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm going to call comp for some cam help but I was hoping that the experts could give me their .02 $ worth. I kinda want to know what I'm getting into before calling them. My last build was a rebuilt 350 and I went with a off the shelf cam from jegs and was not happy at all. This time I'm doing a lot more planning and asking questions. I was 17 then and thought all those old hotrod buddies of my Dads were crazy when they gave me cam options then. Now I'm older and wish those guys were alive today to give that advice to me.

#5 ·
TorkMonster400 said:
I'm going to call comp for some cam help but I was hoping that the experts could give me their .02 $ worth. I kinda want to know what I'm getting into before calling them. My last build was a rebuilt 350 and I went with a off the shelf cam from jegs and was not happy at all. This time I'm doing a lot more planning and asking questions. I was 17 then and thought all those old hotrod buddies of my Dads were crazy when they gave me cam options then. Now I'm older and wish those guys were alive today to give that advice to me.
Just keep in mind, that when you call any of the tech lines. You can ask 10 of them the same ?, and you will get 10 different answers. I have heard the 400sbc with the Edelbrock RPM cam, and it had a nice choppy sound to it. :thumbup:

#6 ·
I don't think I'm worried as much about having that lope as much as haveing a cam that preforms in a RPM range of 1500 to 6500. It would be cool if I could have the best of both worlds. That 350 I rebuilt had a 520 lift cam that was way wrong for what that motor was for, a street/mud driven 91 Jeep wrangler 38"s :nono: I didn't know what I was doing then :rolleyes:

#7 ·
TorkMonster400 said:
I don't think I'm worried as much about having that lope as much as haveing a cam that preforms in a RPM range of 1500 to 6500. It would be cool if I could have the best of both worlds. That 350 I rebuilt had a 520 lift cam that was way wrong for what that motor was for, a street/mud driven 91 Jeep wrangler 38"s :nono: I didn't know what I was doing then :rolleyes:
The Edelbrock RPM cam is a 1500 to 6500 rpm cam if that what you mean.

#8 ·
I was thinkin in the 450 to 470 range please help me with this! PWR in 1500 to 6000 range.
Grab something with about 218*-228* dur and .450-.480 lift and you'll be happy. Somewhere on the order of 112-114 and you won't complain from lack of vacuum. If you want to thrash on it a bit more, might consider a bit more duration and possibly 110ish. These motors run very well driven daily with anything like this and if you're not going to the strip a bunch will do just fine.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok I called Lunati today excellent help dept, I was impressed.
The tech guy gave me a part # of 60102 Here are the specs
I have to go with a custom grind because of the small bace circle.

Adv dur int/ex 262/268 Adv @.050 219/227 Gross valve lift .468/.489 lobe sep and int/ centerline 112/108

So any opinions on this cam? Any help is appreciated. $204.94 Out he door no lifters, but a free shirt **sweet**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.