do you add thinner to clear when applying a pearl? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

do you add thinner to clear when applying a pearl?

is there anybody who has ever applied a pearl useing clear coat and if so after buying the clear coat is there any other product that i need to buy with it to make the pearl work or do i just add the pearl to the clear coat stir it and shoot it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Absolutely! This is spray painting 101. The thinner or reducer has to be added, or the paint will be too dry to stick before it gets to the surface.

The best you might hope for is that it will stick... but look like sandpaper.

Yes..... you need to add thinner for paints that are lacquer based... or reducer for enamel type paints.

Ask the paint dealer for the proper thinner/reducer. That will depend on the shop temps. You will also need to know how much to add.

I should add that shooting pearls on top of a color can be tricky. It is not the sort of job I would recommend for someone who has not spray painted before.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM

So if it were you what kind of clear would you use and i have sprayed before only not with rustoleum are you doubting that if i tried spraying the candy/pearl over my paint it wont work or do you think it will work better if i add it into the paint before spraying the paint on the car? i was told to use something called basemaker to activate the candy/pearl shoot it then shoot the clear over it for better shine.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 PM

i just sprayed my truck red wine candy..i put down a black base coat then mixed the pearl in with the clear..when you get the colour your after then spray afew coats of straight clear over it.candy doesnt colour sand to well so bye shooting a few coats of clear well get it popping
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Jester
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

NO....Or reducer ....but thats not the easiest or best way to add the pearl....what if you get a run????What your doing is making a single stage out of your clear....try useing an inter mix base ,it basicly clear base that'll dry fast and be transparent giving a layerd effect (like a candy)same principal ,then clear.....I would suggest using a lower end intermix like Nason "Ful-base"and adding the pearl ,that way you wont have a lot invested if you mess up
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke
So if it were you what kind of clear would you use and i have sprayed before only not with rustoleum are you doubting that if i tried spraying the candy/pearl over my paint it wont work or do you think it will work better if i add it into the paint before spraying the paint on the car? i was told to use something called basemaker to activate the candy/pearl shoot it then shoot the clear over it for better shine.
Are you putting this pearl on rustoleum? Jay and bodyman got you covered ,Im just curious! I never heard of candy's or pearls on rustoleum

Im going to watch Hollywood Knights Ill check in the morning

Your in good hands with these guys:

Chris
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just a FYI for the SPI users..SPI makes an intercoat clear for just this sort of thing...

Sam
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

The young man sent me a private message. (Or older man ) Hes spraying rustoleum and spraying candy and pearl on it. I stay away from rustoleum and am not familiar with its characteristics or any reactions it could have with other products other then rustolium compatible materials. (I use it for lawn chairs and such) So Ill stay away from this

But Im very interested in the posts comeing up. and I'd like to see pictures. What are you painting? And what color & gloss (flat, semigloss or gloss) rustoleum are you using for your base for the candy and pearl? What brand pearl are you using is it powder or suspended Some pearls are one teaspoon per gallon and some are 4 oz to a gallon?

Theres another guy on here using rustolium he seems to be having pretty good results

Jester
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
Absolutely! This is spray painting 101. The thinner or reducer has to be added, or the paint will be too dry to stick before it gets to the surface.

The best you might hope for is that it will stick... but look like sandpaper.

Yes..... you need to add thinner for paints that are lacquer based... or reducer for enamel type paints.

Ask the paint dealer for the proper thinner/reducer. That will depend on the shop temps. You will also need to know how much to add.

I should add that shooting pearls on top of a color can be tricky. It is not the sort of job I would recommend for someone who has not spray painted before.
Actually most clears these days dont require reduction But if you read the can and it does need to be reduced ,only reduce it to what it says ,theres no extra reduction because theres pearl added whether its paint or clear just reduce it according to the instructions...
Even if your just playin around dont use rustolium ,use a low end base coat first and then a low end inter mix with the pearl added you'll get the best results at the lowest cost this way...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Is someone helping him off the thread, what happened I was interested! if I ran you off Im sorry! come back

Jester
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

he PM'ed me as well and I warned him off the rusto stuff and told him to use a good epoxy primer and then when the money comes finish the car..

Sam
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
he PM'ed me as well and I warned him off the rusto stuff and told him to use a good epoxy primer and then when the money comes finish the car..

Sam
I figured as much Im glad someone could help him I was interested in the pearl on rusto He private messaged me too. I told him to stay on the thread! Jay or Bodyman or I would of told him pretty close to the same thing he just never came back

Chris
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Hey spyke: you pm'ed me the other day you shot the rustoleum anyway, whats happening ? I asked you to come back on your thread, what are you painting?

Jester
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM

whats up paint jester no i really didnt paint the car yet i just painted a fender i bought from the junkyard BUT it went on so good i really dont know if its wise to talking about the rustoleum paint anymore because there are people who are literally getting mad that people like me wanta just try this product i have a 1970 oldsmobile cutlass that was a rust bucket to begin with but after stitching new seat covers and filling about 30 holes i primed it down put some 22s on it and i drive it work everyday and believe it or not its a head turner just the way it is i bought it for $400 and it had been sitting up since 1980 the car has 38741 original miles on it and runs like a sewing machine. So really im not intrested in applying anything more than the rustoleum but i have been seeing good results from friends andf all over the internet but im really begining to dislike this site because like somebody said there is a group of guys on this site who seem like they live to just talk down on others instead of just TRYING to help call it junk or crap or whatever they want its working for people and i dont see ant reason to get upset or mad if someone just wants try it if look on the internet there is a guy that painted a 67 cougar with rustoleum paint and theres another guy who did an orange charger like the dukes of hazard these 2 jobs look better than some paint shop jobs and there are plenty more but i said im just gonna find a site where people can get along and be willing to help you no matter what type of paint your useing i have got a lil info but for the most part mostly critisizim your a cool guy and i appreciate all the help and directions on who to ask for help but like i said there are just a few guys on this site that dont want to help they wanta bash what you wanta do . but i did come up with a mixture that i believe will work for anyone useing this product i used 50%paint 60% acetone and a (TBS) of japan drier hardener on the fender and it completely dried in 2-3hours maybe sooner i just didnt check it frequently now i wanta know if you can apply a urethane clear over an oil base paint

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.