Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Do you always buckle up? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/do-you-always-buckle-up-225902.html)

bigdog7373 11-09-2012 01:26 PM

Do you always buckle up?

Do you always wear your seat belt. Other opinions/ comments?

E.Furgal 11-09-2012 02:12 PM

nope not really.. not on the street..
last time I had a nova 4 door retractor rip out of the pillar and skin my head..
I'll take my chances.. thanks..
track 5 point all the time..
my c-10 will get a 5 point at somepoint and yes I'll use it..
but vehicles with retractors up high.. I just don't trust anymore

MARTINSR 11-09-2012 02:39 PM

EVERY TIME, I won't even move a car out of the lot to park on the street without putting them on. The odds say you are better off, and by golly I am going with the odds.

My Rambler didn't have them when I got it, before I drove it for the first time that was one of the last things I did, installed new belts.

Brian

malc 11-09-2012 02:42 PM

Here in Europe you have to or risk a fine and points on your licence.
Here in Spain twenty years ago you could drive sans belts in the town,
which was a pretty stupid way of thinking.
Most accidents they reckon happen close to home, either commencing a journey or arriving home.

oldbogie 11-09-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog7373 (Post 1609156)
Do you always wear your seat belt. Other opinions/ comments?

Always strap the machine on, don't even think about it, just do it.

Bogie

MARTINSR 11-09-2012 03:01 PM

And my kids have always done it too, never ever have I had a kid crying about putting on the "Racing harness" that's what I called it. When taking my kids to the track I showed them the race cars inside and how they had "Racing harness" just like my kids did in our cars, they were very impressed. :D

Brian

John long 11-09-2012 03:22 PM

Always in the family cars. It is both a habit and the law. The hot rod in Tennessee does not require it if not factory equipped. While I do believe in them and agree I would be safer with them in the roadster, I don't feel terribly at risk without them. The motorcycle is way more dangerous and my wife and I both love to ride. Life is full of calculated risks.

John L

against all odds 11-09-2012 03:54 PM

i usually do. The only time i don't is when it's cold---this way i can hunch over---it's more comfortable this way. When everything gets warmed up then i put it on.

i know this is probably not right, but you asked and i'm giving you the straight answer.

LATECH 11-09-2012 03:54 PM

Seat Belts are second nature now. i just do it.
Air bags are nice. When a customer says his air bag light is on, and asks: should I fix it? My answer is : It only has to work once to be worth it.

poncho62 11-09-2012 04:37 PM

My 51 just has a lap belt......In the minivan, I automatically buckle up, same in the work van....Seems in my truck, I tend to forget a lot....I dont know why

Project89 11-09-2012 04:44 PM

i always do in the camaro or the intrepid, but for some reason when im in the silverado i do or dont put it on.
its just something about the truck that sometimes i dont even think about putting it on.

but in the cars its the first thing i do soon as i get in

shrugs

E.Furgal 11-09-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATECH (Post 1609212)
Seat Belts are second nature now. i just do it.
Air bags are nice. When a customer says his air bag light is on, and asks: should I fix it? My answer is : It only has to work once to be worth it.

only other time I got really hurt was in my '97 f-150 the airbag went off.. and my left hand smacked the upper door post.. the right off the rear window/roof..
both hands broken..face burnt.. trashing around as the airbag area was smoking. and the bang to the face made my vision a blurr..

I hope the 2nd gen air bags are better, cause that rocket in the wheel was not a safety item..
why the airbag go off.. a dumptruck at the light infront of me rolled backwards into my truck.. it was a 5mph hit.. no need for the air bags..
first and only time with an airbag.. and hope to h_ll , never again..

LATECH 11-09-2012 05:09 PM

Early air bags were scary. Second gen were better.
Third gen is pretty decent, occupant weight sensor, seat position sensor , side impact sensors - bags , belt pre tensioners... etc... all help with deployment that is more "tailored" to the needs that the involved crash demands.
I agree, first gen was about as good as a stone axe for cutting wood.:D
Still better than biting the steering wheel at a 60 MPH sudden stop :smash:

454 Rattler 11-09-2012 06:20 PM

Hell yes, ALWAYS !!

454 RATTLER

NEW INTERIORS 11-09-2012 06:40 PM

If I want my kids to wear it... I do it.. Only way to teach them... I hate wearing it,, But I don't want them seeing me not wearing it..;)