Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Do you guys leave the old butyl tape on when you change your windshield?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Do you guys leave the old butyl tape on when you change your windshield?

I been working on my Firebird. I am trying to get the body ready to be blasted. I just got done removing the front and rear windshields.

I used one of those windshield removal tools with the two handles and a blade.

Windshield Removal Tool - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

The rear windshield came out fine, no damage to the glass. The front however was a real pain. The blade on the tool was not even long enough to cut through the mass of goo. I then tried the guitar string method which seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately the glass cracked on the edge while using the guitar string method.

When I removed the glass, there was so much butyl tape on the windshield frame that even the trim clips were buried under it. It is basically a mess of butyl tape. People must have just piled new butyl tape over the years without ever removing the old butyl tape.

I figured it was just some more poor quality work that has been done to my car over the years until I talked to this neighbor who swears to me that you should not remove the old butyl tape.

What you guys think?