DO YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE AN ENGINE RUN COOLER?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2002, 08:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post DO YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE AN ENGINE RUN COOLER??

I have a 69 mustang fastback with a 351 cleveland.
bnm blower, supercharger. It runs hotter than i like.I would like to know of some ways to make it run cooler.
I just bought the car off a buddy. It runs at around 205 degree cruising in 95 degree weather. but gets hot quick (215- 220)if i get in it even a little bit. any suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 04:06 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

you might need to run a shroud if theres room, or are you running a hood? some times the littlest things will hinder airflow.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:10 PM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Use the biggest radiator that you can get into the car, the largest diameter flex fan (blades should be within 2 inches of the radiator) and a good shroud that fits both the radiator and the fan. Use a good quality thermostat and the highest pressure radiator cap you can find for your radiator. Fill the system with mixture of 50/50 (water/antifreeze) and make sure the timing is set correctly.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

There are many ways to make your motor run cooler. Just remember that you are trying to draw heat out of the coolant which is carrying heat out of the engine. First point to keep in mind is that Antifreeze/coolant makes the motor run hotter. Running distilled water with an anti corrosion additive during the summer is a cheap modification. Antifreeze raises the boiling point of the solution and lowers the freezing point. As the liquid runs through the radiator it needs to flow fast enough to pull heat out of the engine, but slow enough to remain in the radiator where the heat is drawn out by a flow of fresh air. I have no problem cooling my .040 overbored 302W in a 65 Ranchero. I am using a FlowKooler high volume water pump, An Afco aluminum racing radiator ( 2 core aluminum crossflow ), and a Spal 14" electric puller fan. I run distilled water with anti rust additive. With a 180 degree thermostat and a Vintage air adjustable fan switch, I am able to keep the motor below 195 in the heat od summer. I am also running an aftermarket Rainbow Air A/C sytem. I run a remote tranny oil kooler as the radiator has no tranny cooling feature. If you don't want to go this route, you can get a 4 core stock style radiator and make sure you run a cooling shroud. If the motor runs hot at idle in traffic, you have inadequate air flow at low speed idle or the air is not being pulled through the radiator fast enough or high enough volume. If the temperature creeps up at highway speed, make sure you have a bottom hose with the coil spring inside. Without the spring the hose will collapse on itself at highway speed. Your fan blades need to be about an inch from the radiator face. When using a shroud make sure the blades reach at least halfway into the shroud. If you want to switch to an electric fan, use it as a puller. They come with built in shrouds and if your choice exceeds 2500 cfm , you will be pulling enough heat from the radiator. Make sure you have an overflow bottle installed and use a 16# pressure cap.One other feature to check is to make sure your raiator support wall does not leave gaps around the radiator frame. This will allow air to flow around the radiator rather than throught it. Bernoulli's Theorem. Good luck.

Walt in SoFlo
Old 08-27-2002, 11:19 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i have no idea if this will help but when i had my mg/327 i cut holes in the rear of the inner fenders to let air out. also fixed the rear of my hood so there was a small gap when it was closed (until i gotta different radiator). don't use a cap higher than 16# could cause leaks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.