Hot Rod Forum banner

Do You Remember "The Freight Train"??.

5K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  malc 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I was running my Gran Sport at Sears point Raceway at a Nostalgia Drags once. That Freight train was there and while I was in the build up lanes ran one of it's tire smoking passes. I walked up to the staring line after he ran to see two BLACK strips from the Christmas tree as far as the eye could see. Two 15-18 inch wide BLACK stripes, looking like they had been painted!

Oh yes, love the Freight train!

Brian

#6 ·
I think the point I was making is what John Peter's did with that car in terms of firsts and as heavy of a car it is.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh I almost forgot.Big Daddy in the link is quoted as saying it was one of the 5 top cars.

#13 ·
If I remember rightly they did´nt do the business and instead of dirtying
Pontiac´s name they blamed a two cent part for not getting the record.

Ivo´s four motored monster was morphed into this, and later a replica of the dragster version was built.
The dragster was only let onto the strip for exhibition runs.

#12 ·
Back in the seventies a friend of mine that I used to work with drove this car.
Don (Red) Fogelman Was about 5'6" and wayed 120 lbs with red hair and beard and kind of looked like this :evil:. We used to go to the local for a "Hydrolic Sandwich" at lunch and shoot a little pool. He nicknames me "Quarters." Can you guess why?
The cars name was "The Odd Couple"
Take a close look at it.

B "Quarters' B :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#29 ·
Jets are not wheel driven. Just sort of a very low-flying plane.
(Personal view- I don't consider them to be "true" cars at all! Feel free to disagree)

Fastest wheel-driven car was the Team Vesco entry called "Turbinator" that ran a turbine engine, geared to drive the wheels and hit 470 something, making it the fastest wheel-driven car in history. Don & Rick Vesco are planning to bring "Turbinator II" to the Salt this year to try for a wheel-driven speed of 500 or better!

Poteet's Speed Demon is the fastest piston-powered car in history (so far) with a speed exiting the traps of 462. Poteet is also gunning for 500, wheel driven, with piston power.

Gonna be an exciting time this year!

If ya miss seeing it, you only have yourself to blame. Bring a tent or a camper - its free to camp on the salt. The ultimate low-cost trip to watch a once in a lifetime contest to see who hits 500 first!

#31 ·
Fastest wheel-driven car was the Team Vesco entry called "Turbinator" that ran a turbine engine, geared to drive the wheels and hit 470 something, making it the fastest wheel-driven car in history. Don & Rick Vesco are planning to bring "Turbinator II" to the Salt this year to try for a wheel-driven speed of 500 or better!

Don Vesco will only be there in 'spirit'. The Turbinator car is being updated and the new revamped body is about finished

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.