Do you smoke? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 10:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Do you smoke?

Cigarettes lead to the cancer that killed my grandfather 6 years ago. He smoked all his life with his brother growing up.

Yesterday, his brother, (my great-uncle) died of lung cancer also. I've watched cigarettes do their damage to loved-ones and even been stupid enough to light one up myself for the past 3 years. Well I for one have seen enough suffering to stop doing it to myself.

If you smoke, please think of how your loved ones have to deal with seeing you gag yourself to death. It's not a pretty sight, or feeling, and we all know that. So out of respect for my loved ones, I am done. No more smoking cigarettes for me.

I'm only bringing this up because I care about my Hotrodder brothers and sisters.

MoocH

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 11:58 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

K2mooch , thanks for posting a stop smoking thread. There are 4 of us at work who are planning to come back from Thanksgiving break without smokes. I quit just to suffer with people close to me smoking, then break down and puff again. One of them has quit and ended up the same. We're gonna do it together this time!

We can do it!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I quit 14 years ago after smoking almost 3 packs a day. Quit cold turkey. It was a little tough at first but it was the best thing I ever did. Gained a few pounds but working on that now. The good thing is that when I get a throat irritation or cough, it's from a cold. Better thing is that I had a small sopot on my lung in June. Turned out to be nothing but a small fatty spot that the doctor says almost everyone has if you look hard enough. Best thing is when he asked me if I smoked and I told him how long ago I quit...He said I can rule out ever getting lung cancer with the way my lungs look now and the length of time not smoking. WhooHoo!!! That's one good thing, now I gotta get the rest of the body in better shape. My advice...if ya smoke, quit, if ya don't...don't ever start.

Kevin
Old 11-12-2003, 12:39 PM

I have been smoke free for 3 years now. I tried several times to slowly cut myself off only to fail every time. I finally made the decision to quit and threw away my cigarettes one morning and never smoked again. I find it to be a continuing battle of willpower. I have cravings for cigarettes almost on a daily basis, but refuse to give in. During the first year that I quit, I nearly had to quit drinking beer and coffee. I had such a habit to have a beer or cup of coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I quit mainly because the price of cigarettes were increasing so drastically. I thought it was severly inappropriate for the government to start tacking on new taxes on a product that they knew people were addicted to. If the money from the new taxes were used to help people quit smoking, I would have accepted it to a point, but all that money was collected for was to help offset a state's excessive spending and budget problems (smoking did not cause these problems). The states do not want people to quit, because they would stand to lose some of their new income. If a person decides to smoke, they have decided to accept the risk of potential health problems. It doesn't take a educated person to figure out that sucking in hot smoke may not be good for you. If a person continues to smoke, they must take the responsibility of their decision to do so, it should not have to come from my wallet. It's just like with anything else, you must set your mind to the goal and stick with it. It may not be easy, but what is.

If you decide to quit, you must truely stand behind your decision to quit and absolutely do not give in to the cravings.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My grandfather smoked and died from it at age 45. My mom, uncle, and aunt all smoked heavily and all died B4 the age of 70. My father quit at the age of about 45 and lived to 89. My grandmother never smoked and lived to 92. My son started smoking in high school to my grief but quit cold turkey a couple of years ago at 24.

That habit has taken a lot away from me and I wish it could be eradicated. Unfortunately, it is too much of a profit center for politicians for that to ever happen.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:53 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

I was a 3 pack a day smoker, BUT quit when they were 40cents a pack, that'll give ya an idea how long ago it was.....joe
Old 11-12-2003, 01:05 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

smoke?

only after sex.......
i'm down to about a pack a day.......

actually, i never have gotten into it. smoking that is...... think of the money i've saved. and spent on beer.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I´ve seen it in the UK and here in Spain, smokers in hospital,
leg or legs amputated and still puffing away.They get wheeled into corridors or outside to carry on smoking!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

just wanted to say BYE WINSTON CUP!!! i for one, will not miss their sponsorship. but what the hell is 76 doing quiting?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

No more smokes!

I don't smoke anymore, quit 4 years ago. Don't miss them either. No more gaging and coughing and spitting. No chewing or anything else.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 11-12-2003, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the posts fellas, it's helping me realize that it's all in the head. It can't be that hard if so many have done it before.

A friend of mine made a decision to quit college. She is going to take her HS diploma and see how far that can get her. The stupid thing is, she whole-heartedly has made this decision and is STILL going to class everyday till the end of the semester. Even though it's a different kind of quitting, I've learned one thing from this. . . . .

If you are going to quit, QUIT!!!!! Don't BS yourself and everyone else and put it off. There is no 'fade-out and eventually drop off', that's why I QUIT!!!!

Good Luck to anyone else who is going though this also, and thanks again.

MoocH
Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

smoking

I had a crack at it back when I was in school.
it didn't seem to do it for me .
when I started smoking tyers. man thats hard to give up
even when a steel belt hits that quarter panel.
the smoke of the welder isn't any good for me either but i cant stop welding at least im not making the tobacco co any richer
good luck with giving up guys &gals it hurts to many around you and think of the $$$ you'll save
Old 11-12-2003, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I watched my ex-mother in law literally drown in her own fluid filled lungs because of 40 years of smoking, then two years later the ex-father in law died from smoking related heart condition. So what does my ex-wife do? starts smoking at 41 years of age! Stupid broad! Thats probably why I divorced her.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:23 PM

There is an old man that used to live next door to my mother. He smoked non-filtered cigarettes for 60 years. I never recall seeing him without a cigarette lit. When his grandchildren finally put him into a nursing home, he was in relatively good health, except he couldn't walk very good. I know this would be a very rare case. But, I wonder how some people can smoke all of their life and never get sick from it, while others smoke for a relatively short time and die from it.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Ive tried it once.. took one hit of a cig... Don't like it.. Nasty..

now i don't do it because i have asthma.. feels like Ive been smoking all my life when im sick.. but i don't lol..

Nos

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.