Hot Rod Forum banner

Do it yourself home plating.

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
Hi Guys
I'm just passing along a web site I came across while researching a concept car. I don't know anything about them other than the recommendation from the person doing the restoration on the concept car but I found it interesting enough that I wanted you guys to know they existed. These people sell kits that allow you to do some of your own plating. Chrome, cadmium, nickel and other metal coatings.
I'm not sure if posting a web site like this is allowed or not but my intentions are honorable. i ain't connected to them and I'm not getting a dime. I've just never seen anything like what they have to offer. Here they are
Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc

I hope this helps someone.
BB

#4 ·
Trouble with anything like this, as is the problem with the pro shops, what do you do with the chemicals that are left over?...Just cant dump them down the sewer. Disposal is one of the main reason that plating is so expensive.

#8 ·
I've looked into starting a home plating setup as I worked for a large scale plating shop for 12 years.I had a metal polishing business for a few years after that.
The problem with the setups like caswell's is they use tri chrome instead of hex(hexavellent) chrome which is used by shops that do show chrome we expect.
Tri chrome does not have the same finnish as quality hex chrome.
Tri chrome is safe to use at home.Hex chrome is something you would have a hard time getting and would bbe well advised not to use in a home setup.
Hex chrome fumes are carcenogenic and pose huge disposal issues.
In Erin Brocovich it was hexchrome that gave the town cancer.
The EPA has been all over this.

The bottom line is chrome is not cheap for a reason.If it was easy to set up on a home scale to save money,i'd be doing it.But letting a good chrome shop do quality work is well worth the cost and avoid the headaches.

thats just my 2 cents.

#13 ·
disposal costs

I worked for a shop that made exhaust parts for the Harley factory, One out the platers we used moved from L A to Arizona, California was always hasseling him, and the dry arizona desert air would evaporate the water out of the waste so he could send Dry residue to be reclaimed. and the shipping cost was a lot lower than barrels of liquid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.