DOCVETTE HAS PASSED AWAY..................... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

DOCVETTE HAS PASSED AWAY.....................

docvette (Thomas Dallas Burke) has passed away.

I received the following email from his brother, and also spoke with the coroner's office in Contra Costa County, CA, where doc lived.
(reprinted with permission)
Quote:
If you are the webmaster here, I would like to let you know about the "Doc"

Tom, the "Doc" "Docs Magic" etc, passed away this morning of 09/12/07. I am his Brother, Mike, and I found him on his floor this afternoon. He had been gone for a while when I found him, about 10 hours according to the medics.

Tom was in failing health for several years, but his mind was always sharp. Cancer had taken him away from us, but his General Knowledge of Automotive shall live on.

I know he was working on several projects with the group of which I was involved in (blindly) and if you wish to continue with these developments, please feel free to contact me.

Hotrodders has lost a Great Moderator. I have lost a Great Brother! I will miss him, as well as all of you.

Services will be private.

Thank you all for being his friends!

Mike Burke
Docvette had quite a reputation around here. Not just for his knowledge, but for the dedication he displayed in spreading it. Docvette's first post on this board was in April of 2004: wiring diagram help. About a year later, he became a Moderator. Over the three years that he posted on this forum, he amassed over 7,500 posts, many of them filled with detailed explanations, diagrams, and photos designed to make complex issues easy to understand. Though his health was failing, he continued this attitude through to his very last post.

One of the ways to tell that someone has impacted an online community is by seeing how many people start discussions just to personally thank that person. Docvette was no exception -- here are a few examples: Thanks to Docvette, I just wanted to tip my hat in gratitude to Docvette, It is people like you that make a big difference. His presence will be missed.

Doc's collected posts could fill an encyclopedia -- as such, he has left quite a legacy. Like his brother mentioned, his knowledge "shall live on".

We'll also be setting up an online docvette memorial on a designated webpage. It will include some basic info on docvette, a collection of his best posts, links to the wiki articles to which he contributed, some final member "thank-yous", and some details on doc's presence on other online communities.

If you have any thoughts or memories of docvette, or you want to highlight a particularly good docvette post, please post in this thread and it will be added to the memorial.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Doc was a very strong man, his ability to keep helping the folks here while battling cancer showed that. The amount of willpower he must have had was tremendous. He fought with it for 15 years. I knew some of the details that he shared with me, , he wasn't trying to hide the fact that he had cancer, he never wanted to talk of it on the board because he felt the board should be a happy place.

Where ever Doc posted, it was a happy place.

His sense of humor, his selfless attitude and focus on others problems are what made him so well liked. He was freekin smart as well.

They say a man never dies who is remembered by his friends.

I'll remember him.

Later, mikey

A docvette thank you post I didn't see that Jon already put that one up.

One thread where he helped me regain domestic harmony

And if you got on Doc's bad side, you were in trouble too...He made me laugh like hell when he opened up a can of Doc style whupass on this thread....

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 09-15-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: link repair
Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

That is unfortunate. I always enjoyed reading his posts. They were informative and usually very candid.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm relatively new here but have read and COPIED many of Doc's posts for reference. Shared the funny one's with my wife. I used to think I had a pretty good grasp of electrical knowledge, being an ex-aircraft mechanic and electrician. This man's knowledge was [B]amazing [/B].

He left us with much of that SHARED knowledge which will be referred to for many years to come I'm sure.

Incredible guy I wish I had known personally. Definitely missed.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Doc is going to be very much missed here, and in many other places, a very much respected man.

JK.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Wow! I don't remember him saying he was Sick. I know I did not see a post in sometime just though he was working on a project this summer. But if its you time to go summer is the best time to pass to me. Green tree's the smell of cut grass and flower on the breeze, setting out side enjoying the nice weather and working on the old project just does not get much better than that.

My heart goes out to the family member for you lose.

Craig
Old 09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Wow that sucks. Doc helped me several times with electrical problems I was having.Smart guy and you allways knew you could trust his advice.
I'm very sorry to here this.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

His wealth of knowledge really helped me out many times. He posted back to a few of my threads and even promptly answered quite a few private messages. I never knew what he was going through and now knowing makes it more special that he took out of his time to do what he did FOR ME!! (somebody he doesn't even know). I will miss that, and always remember who helped me rig up an alternator and safety switches. It was the Doc.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

He will be missed by me, for certain
A sense of humor that not many have, with electrical knowledge reserved for the Gods.
He was ill when I posted about my father's death, and apologized for not posting in that thread, both by PM, and later while working on another's issue.

I have noticed he had not been posting regularly, and was somewhat cooncerned about his welfare.
Since I have been here, there have only been a couple of times that he had not posted daily.

He would even post from a hospital bed occaisionally.
Rest In Peace "Doc"
We will all miss you.

Bryan
Old 09-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Doc was everybodys friend.....He could explain complex circuitry in a simple to understand way. He could always come up with a wireing diagram for whatever you were working on. I always read all of his posts and learned a lot about automotive electrical from doing so. I have also seen Doc do a pretty good job of arse chewing when someone needed it.......you have to really be good at it to have people thank you for it, Lol. I have seen him eloquently resolve many automotive problems as well as personal conflicts etc. on this site. He was amazing! He was...DocVette... and I am glad that I can call him friend. Rest in peace brother you are missed.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Here's to ya Doc, keep chasin that line down the highway of forever!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Doc was one of my favorite guys to read.

It was only about three weeks ago that he was having so much fun bashing Lucas electrical components.

It's highly commendable that he managed to retain his keen wit despite failing health.

We're going to miss him
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I never made a thread or post needing his help, but just about everytime I did a search, a thread would come up where he chimed in with great, on target advice. The man gave VERY detailed explanations and advice. He posted a wiring diagram that I saved for when I get to where I need it.

I'll miss him. He's one of those people that enters your life through the internet and you can honestly say you'd really love to have had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

A rare person indeed. God must have had a short in something.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

I loved reading Doc's stuff, he was truly a wiring wizard
I know like many of you Doc seemed like a long time friend. He will be missed by many & those who have yet to come into this site will still be amazed by the info this man has gather & shared over the 3 short years he was here.

My thoughts & prayers goes out to his family & friends.
The man upstairs got himself one heck of a wiring guy & I'm sure he's looking down on all of us smiling from ear to ear knowing that we all considered him a great friend..

Here's to you Doc thanks for being here when we needed you....joe
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Any time I followed an electrical thread that needed additional information or clarification, I'd anxiously await "Doc here ". His advice was always sound and a great help to many including myself. The board will be a lesser place without him. My prayers go out his family and loved ones. mudlust.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.