Hot Rod Forum banner

Dodge 1998 1500 Ram SS/T Transmission type?

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  tnsmith10 
#1 ·
Hay, I have 1998 1500 SS/T 5.9 2WD , I need to replace the shift solenoid. I need to know if my transmission has a lock out convertor or not.
Thank you for any info

#2 ·
SpiderMartin said:
Hay, I have 1998 1500 SS/T 5.9 2WD , I need to replace the shift solenoid. I need to know if my transmission has a lock out convertor or not.
Thank you for any info
with this trans, its not as simple as replacing a shift solenoid as there is only one in the pan and thats for 4th gear.
a very common problem with these units is the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure transducer. if they fail, the trans will not shift. the key info here at this time is,
whats the sypmtoms, hows the condition and level of the fluid, and how many miles are on the trans, and lastly, have you had it scanned for codes?
also, for added info, all the "RE" units (95-up) all came with a lockup converter from the factory.

#3 ·
Re : Ram 1500 SS/T transmission isssue.

Thank you, that answered my question. I had the code read and that is what it told me it needed.
The issue is the dash light came on a while back and ever once in a great while, the tranny slipped into neutral. Back of the throttle for a second or two and all is well. (it has not happened in 5000 miles at least.) And when you give it gas it takes a second or two to take off, slow response?
I have had this issue with other vehicles and have changed external selinoids but not an internal. I spoke with a buddy that was familiar with mopar and he said he just replaced one in his brothers Ram 1500, same MO.
All fluids are level, I will change the filter and gasket, with the repair.
I am open to any suggestions and advice.
Thank you for the great info, and very quick response to my question.

#4 ·
SpiderMartin said:
Thank you, that answered my question. I had the code read and that is what it told me it needed.
The issue is the dash light came on a while back and ever once in a great while, the tranny slipped into neutral. Back of the throttle for a second or two and all is well. (it has not happened in 5000 miles at least.) And when you give it gas it takes a second or two to take off, slow response?
I have had this issue with other vehicles and have changed external selinoids but not an internal. I spoke with a buddy that was familiar with mopar and he said he just replaced one in his brothers Ram 1500, same MO.
All fluids are level, I will change the filter and gasket, with the repair.
I am open to any suggestions and advice.
Thank you for the great info, and very quick response to my question.
so when you say that it is slow to respond to throttle, does the engine rpm come up before the vehicle moves? also, does the truck have a throttle cable to the throttle body or is it what they call a "fly by wire" setup?
i also didnt get the info from you on the mileage of the truck, or the level and condition of the fluid (remember, it needs to be checked running in neutral).
if its hi mileage, before you get too far, id drop the pan and inspect for debris, along with pulling off the harness connector to the trans and make sure that its not wet inside. its a 8 pin connector above the neutral switch.
if the pan has shiny material in it and the magnet is loaded with "fuzz", i wouldnt bother with the repair as most likely it will only get worse.
as far as the lockup solenoid/o.d. solenoids, even though they do fail, its not real common to see.

#5 ·
Re : Ram 1500 SS/T transmission isssue.

Yes, it has high mileage 170,****. The fluid is level and not burnt, no noises from the tranny. I thought I saw a cable for the throttle. Could it be a cable adjustment issue?
Yes, the RPMs have to rise before the truck will take off. This begain to happen and then the dash light came on and stayed on. Also on occasion the tranny slips in 4th gear, under a load.
My buddy that read the code re set the dash light and it came back on. I will have to check the harness that you mentioned, that is just fantastic info.
Thank you for more great information on this repair. I have a basic repair manual for basic referance.

#6 ·
SpiderMartin said:
Yes, it has high mileage 170,****. The fluid is level and not burnt, no noises from the tranny. I thought I saw a cable for the throttle. Could it be a cable adjustment issue?
Yes, the RPMs have to rise before the truck will take off. This begain to happen and then the dash light came on and stayed on. Also on occasion the tranny slips in 4th gear, under a load.
My buddy that read the code re set the dash light and it came back on. I will have to check the harness that you mentioned, that is just fantastic info.
Thank you for more great information on this repair. I have a basic repair manual for basic referance.
with what you described and combined with the mileage of the truck, im afraid that doing a repair is going to be short lived if it works. im willing to bet that a pan drop will show that the trans has lived its life (and then some. lol)
more than likely, its time for a rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.