Dodge 318 ignition problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dodge 318 ignition problem

I have one here that has me really stumped, I was timing this engine (93 Dodge 5.2 D150) and ALL I did was to loosen the distributor and turn it slightly. The truck then started ran a few seconds and then died I tried to restart it and this time it cranked hard like the timing was too far advanced (I am sure I never moved it that much) and then it did start but it ran only a couple of seconds before dying again, now I have a VERY weak spark it will arc but just barely. I removed the coil and checked it with an ohm meter and it is within specs, I replaced the coil wire but still just this very weak spark. I am assuming that since the coil is firing at all the pick-up in the distributor must be OK? Whatever happened occurred over less than a minute, first it started but then sputtered and died, restarted and ran only a few seconds before dying again and now it does not have enough spark to start at all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

I'm just tossing this out but maybe when you loosened it you lost ground? Or partial ground? Seems odd that it would die so abruptly when loosening the dist.

Mark
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
I'm just tossing this out but maybe when you loosened it you lost ground? Or partial ground? Seems odd that it would die so abruptly when loosening the dist.

Mark
Have had that happen to me as well. Poor ground caused me a lot of grief along side the road.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

That makes sense about losing the ground, even though I had retightened the hold down bolt that thing is quite oily back there. Am I correct in thinking that the pick-up coil in the distributor is an all or nothing kind of deal? That is would a malfunction in the pick-up or wire coming from it always cause a total loss of spark from the coil or could it cause a weakened spark? Since I posted this I changed the coil to a known good one even though I had tested the old one. I will check the primary voltage to the coil tomorrow when I get my loaned out meter back, I checked the resistance of the coil on a bench mounted test set at my son's place and I had no way of testing anything while still on the truck. Any advice on what to look for after I get my meter back would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I had a Chevy truck and the pick-up went out three times,At about 6 months apart.It would just go out.No warning at all.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

I talked to my son about this last night when he stopped by. He mentioned the crank sensor and or wires. It's mounted up on top of the bell housing and gets its trigger off the flywheel. They are suseptable to oil damage and the wires are right next to the distributor. He said they used to keep them on hand because they went out so often. Worth a look at the wires back by the dist. You may end up having to have it cked by a shop that can trouble shoot it electronically.

Mark
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Jmark, That got it THANKS!! (I did not even know that thing was there until you told me) I guess it is just my stinkin luck that it decided to crap out while I was messing with the timing but then $%&^ happens That thing is a real nightmare to get out of there I hope those guys who had to do a bunch of them got paid well for doing it!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

on a related subject, is there anything that needs to be disconnected before setting the timing? Of course this thing does not have a vacuum advance but is there any electrical connections/devices that need to be disabled?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

My son the wizbang mechanic will be pleased he called it right! LOL He said he's changed lots of them.

On the dist, I don't know about any wires to disconnect. If there is a emission decal on the shroud or somewhere, it will tell the procedure to check/set the base timing.

Mark
Old 02-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

A 93 5.2 should be a magnum if it is OE, the timing is not adjustable with the distributor, it is computer controlled.
Rotating the distributor changes the fuel sync signal. A scan tool is needed to reset once the distributor is moved.
The following link explains setting the fuel sync signal.
http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic%20downloads.htm
Camshaft Timing and Setting Fuel Sync - PDF
Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
My son the wizbang mechanic will be pleased he called it right! LOL He said he's changed lots of them.

On the dist, I don't know about any wires to disconnect. If there is a emission decal on the shroud or somewhere, it will tell the procedure to check/set the base timing.

Mark
Nope the decal says "for timing specifications and procedure see service manual" I picked up a Haynes manual and it goes into detail about how to hook up the timing light and it too says to see the decal or the service manual for specs and procedure. This manual is supposed to be for 74 though 93 but there is next to no info in it for a 93, which is what I need. Those manuals (Haynes and Chiltons) are a joke anyway usually.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.