Dodge 47RH no 2nd and no reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dodge 47RH no 2nd and no reverse

Rebuilt 47RH with shift-kit using Suncoast rebuild kit. Worked great for about 2 months and then one morning it would not shift into second (or third for that matter.) If I place it in D2 it will shift into 2nd with no problem. When I put it in reverse it will just rev up and very slowly reverse for about 2-3 foot. I took out the VB, cleaned it all up, inspected and put back together. Same problem. No 2nd, no reverse. I readjusted the bands and it still will not reverse. (didn't think to do that when cleaning up the vb) I'm assuming 2nd is still not working but haven't tried since adjusting the bands since I had a hard time pushing the vehicle back by myself.

Next I will have to tear it apart. Not sure what to look for though. Any idea's?

- Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to make a custom dashboard
Last journal entry: Interior Tin
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Before you pull it apart, did you check the TV cable adjustment? I had a similar problem with my 46RH, pulled it apart and found nothing, and then realized I hadn't reset the cable after I rebuilt it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmopar0521
Before you pull it apart, did you check the TV cable adjustment? I had a similar problem with my 46RH, pulled it apart and found nothing, and then realized I hadn't reset the cable after I rebuilt it.
Yup. I did check it when I adjusted the front band. Y would 2nd work when placed in 2 but not work when in D?

-Mike
Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 PM

46rh

check the oil in neutral not park,read the stick ,if it is full in park it is 2 quarts low.it will cause the problem you are having,ed.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettransmission
check the oil in neutral not park,read the stick ,if it is full in park it is 2 quarts low.it will cause the problem you are having,ed.
yep. Always checked in neutral. Before and after I checked the bands.

-Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Do the servos air check when you have the valve body off?

It is odd yet interesting you are happy troubles with both servos in the case.

There may be a mis-installation here. Some thing holding the valve body from setting down onto the case properly and there are leaks. Just a guess
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Do the servos air check when you have the valve body off?

It is odd yet interesting you are happy troubles with both servos in the case.

There may be a mis-installation here. Some thing holding the valve body from setting down onto the case properly and there are leaks. Just a guess
It's VERY possible for me to misinstall something.. this being my first tranny rebuild. However it did run for 2 months or so just fine. I really just stopped working one morning. Worked well the night before and didn't shift in the morning. And I have had the VB out and in when I tore it down to check it. The 2nd and reversed stopped working at the same time as well which would make it pretty unlikely to be 2 separate problems. I'll be tearing it out tonight and I'll keep you updated. Hopefully I will be able to see the curprit or I don't really know what to do.

Thanks for the ideas!
-Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrmich
It's VERY possible for me to misinstall something.. this being my first tranny rebuild. However it did run for 2 months or so just fine. I really just stopped working one morning. Worked well the night before and didn't shift in the morning. And I have had the VB out and in when I tore it down to check it. The 2nd and reversed stopped working at the same time as well which would make it pretty unlikely to be 2 separate problems. I'll be tearing it out tonight and I'll keep you updated. Hopefully I will be able to see the curprit or I don't really know what to do.

Thanks for the ideas!
-Mike

keep us updated.... and I noticed my fingers typed "happy" when it should be "having" troubles. Guess I need more sleep or something.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Ok.. so I tore everything apart. The governor filter/screen was packed with crud. That would explain the 2nd gear problem but not the reverse. I guess it may actually be 2 things at once.

The direct clutches look great (as well as the rest). The rear band looks fine to me. It does engine break in first (which I believe means that the rear band and direct clutches are working.. can someone verify for me?). That would leave the VB which I have already taken apart and cleaned thoroughly. Guess I will have to try again. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!!

-Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM

Rear band piston looks fine but the seal has a small area that is black. The seal is not broken though. Could fluid be rushing past this area? Now I'm doubting my engine braking... I'm not sure I actually tested it in 1st gear. Possibly I was in d2. sigh....

Also found a little round pin in the valve body. In the part that has all the check balls. It fell out when I turned it over after taking the balls out. It looks like a piece from a needle bearing. I thought at first it may be the pin I used to plug one of the tiny holes for the shift kit but it is still there in place. Originally I did have a bearing schred. Somehow I missed it twice?? Weird.

-Mike
Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Ok... tear down, governor filter was clogged. Cleaned it out. All the clutches are great including the direct. Took apart the rear band piston, put all back together and air tested after adjusting the bands. Took down the entire VB, every spring and valve, cleaned throughly. Started out with some reverse although it was slipping. Had 1-2 and a very reluctant third which did end up switching back to 2nd. After it warmed up and fluid rechecked, reverse stopped working again (it moves a tiny bit) and my 1-2 shift stopped working again (and no 3rd). It will manually shift to 2nd on D2 and feels stong. I do have good engine braking in D1 which means my rear band is fine. I have no idea what to do now....

-Mike
Old 11-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrmich
Ok... tear down, governor filter was clogged. Cleaned it out. All the clutches are great including the direct. Took apart the rear band piston, put all back together and air tested after adjusting the bands. Took down the entire VB, every spring and valve, cleaned throughly. Started out with some reverse although it was slipping. Had 1-2 and a very reluctant third which did end up switching back to 2nd. After it warmed up and fluid rechecked, reverse stopped working again (it moves a tiny bit) and my 1-2 shift stopped working again (and no 3rd). It will manually shift to 2nd on D2 and feels stong. I do have good engine braking in D1 which means my rear band is fine. I have no idea what to do now....

-Mike
Since this has clogged before, I'd be looking for the source of the "crud" and fixing that.

Russ
Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Checked the ports. Accumulator 60 psi for all. Rear servo - 60 L1 and 140 in R. Front servo - 25 in D, 0 in everything else. Removed the front servo.. looks perfect.. seals look good. Something is leaking somewhere... I'm not sure anyone is still following my posts but if anyone has any ideas...

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Since this has clogged before, I'd be looking for the source of the "crud" and fixing that.

Russ
Source of the crud was from prior to the rebuild. Never saw that filter the first time. oops... Somehow I skipped it in the book. Anyways I checked the governor port as well and seems to be working fine 1 per 1mph, checked up to 40.

-Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Torn down again. All the seals look good. No cracks. Front servo piston looks perfect. The front clutches are darker than I would like. Front clutch piston seals look fine. I'm assuming that the clutch is not fully engaging which would explain my symptoms. From what I understand if there is a leak at the front clutch it will also cause low pressure at the front servo? Pump looks perfect.

Don't know what to do now...

-Mike

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.