Hot Rod Forum banner

Dodge Dakota Disc Brakes

11K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  solidaxel 
#1 ·
I am replacing the calipers and pads on a 89 Dakota 2 WD and I am at a loss where this "Frog Leg" wire is supposed to go.
I am sure it has to do with the anti rattle of the pads bit it does not want to fit anywhere and look like it is supposed to ride there!!
A pic would be worth 1000 words or more!!

#2 ·
ANYBODY, have a picture of Dodge Dakota 89 caliper so I can see how the "cricket leg" attaches to the disc pad?

#5 ·
solidaxel said:
I am replacing the calipers and pads on a 89 Dakota 2 WD and I am at a loss where this "Frog Leg" wire is supposed to go.
I am sure it has to do with the anti rattle of the pads bit it does not want to fit anywhere and look like it is supposed to ride there!!
A pic would be worth 1000 words or more!!
You can go to Autozone's site and access full shop manuals for your vehicle (may have to sign up 1st). Also, make sure you have the right pads, I just bought a set for my '98 R/T and was given a set for a standard Dakota. Didn't find out until the front end was all apart, then the wife had to go to three other places before finding the correct ones!

Russ

#6 ·
Everything on this truck came out of a box!!
I did not have one to look at it is all hand built, so I need a picture of one side to build my front brakes.
Thanks for the pic but it is on a 6 lug caliper and rotor which is "newer" than my 5 lug

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)

2WD CALIPER ASSEMBLY

FRONT BRAKE AND SPINDLE ASSEMBLIES
There may be more than just one caliper used, depending on the year by the looks of things. The top caliper above uses an attached clip while the bottom caliper above (and the 4WD caliper, below) shows a separate rattle spring/clip affair. In any event, you can see the orientation of it.

4WD CALIPER ASSEMBLY

#8 ·
Now we are getting closer!!
Outboard pad spring.
Ok, I will see if I can orientate it in the right direction!

Thanks

#10 ·
cobalt327 said:
Don't know how well it shows up on your monitor, but the two ends locate on the caliper, where the 'divots' are. Then the clip acts as a 'bail' to capture the outer pad.

It still dosen't look right!!

Attachments

#12 ·
Put the O s in the X s
then flex the spring into position where the arrows are
The clip should be on the outside of the caliper not between the caliper and the pad.
The third pic is close, just flip the spring/clip over put the arrows in my pic together on the caliper mount.

Attachments

#14 ·
O K, so what keeps the pad tight in the caliper, if it goes on the outside?
There appear to be a bit of clearance on the pad between the anchor and caliper. I thought this frog leg was to keep it from squeaking!
I tried that and it fits BUT what is it supposed to accomplish?

#15 ·
It keeps the caliper from clunking around when hitting bumps.
There should be anti rattle hardware with the pads, unless you got the cheapies, but you may be able to get it seperatley.
There is also an adhesive that can be used on the pads backing to keep them fixed tight to the caliper, but I prefer the proper clips.

#16 ·
Thanks a bunch, it all make sence, now that it is back together!

There was a clip for the piston but the outer one I just used some old disc brake quite I had left over from my "new 78" chevu pick up.

When I put it together the first time I thought it was for the pad to keep it from squeeking, so I had both of them installed different!

I was changing front tire size so now was the time to address the orginal problem................... THANK YOU !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.