Dodge Ram 2500 concerns before purchase - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dodge Ram 2500 concerns before purchase

I have never purchase a diesel truck before. but i did by a 2001 dodge durago (gas). now I want to buy a diesel truck such as the 2008 dodge Ram2500. any advises. is it better to get the manual transmission as compared to the automatic transmission? I hear autotrans. typically has problems. does ford or chevy has better 2008 models as compared to Dodge ram 2500? any maintenance issues with the dodge model I should worry about?
please advise. thank you. kadi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 01:36 AM
leavin Alaska soon

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadi
I have never purchase a diesel truck before. but i did by a 2001 dodge durago (gas). now I want to buy a diesel truck such as the 2008 dodge Ram2500. any advises. is it better to get the manual transmission as compared to the automatic transmission? I hear autotrans. typically has problems. does ford or chevy has better 2008 models as compared to Dodge ram 2500? any maintenance issues with the dodge model I should worry about?
please advise. thank you. kadi
I am not very experienced with the Dodge truck line although I recently bought a 2004 3500 dually. It is the 5.9 325 hp 600 ft lb of torque model. It is far nicer than any truck I have ever owned. I traded in a 2000 F350, fully loaded with a 9 foot 2 inch Boss V snowplow on it, so it worked hard all of it's time with me. The Dodge is twice the truck the ford was. Better power, smoother power, better MPG's and even a sweet sound. Plus my wife like the dodge and hated the ford. But the ford did quit twice and need to be towed home,,,,, twice!
The ford had 20, thou when bought, sold/traded in at 90 thou, the Dodge has 50 thou and runs better than the ford at any time.

I hope this helps..
Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The Dodge is a better truck. The 6.0l Ford diesel is a lemon, and the 6.4L uses a lot of fuel. The Cummins is a far superior engine, but I must admit that I have little experience with the new 6.7l mill.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I love the Cummins, but right now the 6.7L gets horrible fuel economy. I hear that Dodge is working on a reflash that should be out very soon that greatly increases the economy.

I have a 2005 2500 4X4 Cummins, purchased new, great truck so far. It is a work horse, with no problems yet. I work for Ford, the 6.0L and 6.4L are pure junk, plain and simple, nothing but problems. They are great when they are not broken and in my shop.

Jason
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Try asking your question here: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

There are many more owners there.

I have owned Cummins since 92 and overall they are great, if you know how to drive one.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
leavin Alaska soon

Last photo:

auto versus standard shift

I hear many thoughts about trans hate and love, but being a commuter a standard is just not going to work. I like an auto. Yet I am not a "real" work truck guy.

My buddy here has an 02 2500 315 HP with the standard. he loves it, yet after a 1000 mile ride with me a week ago he said he would take an auto trans anyday.
But my mileage sucks. I am getting 13 and 14mpg with the trucks computer stating 17 thru 19 go fig.
I was seriously looking into the Banks exhaust brake and power pac system but at a 7000 price tag, I was turned away. Now I am looking into other alternatives.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last photo:

You're never going to get good fuel mileage from a 7000# vehicle. Period. What you do get will vary with how and where you drive. Keep your foot out of it and 17-19 is not unreasonable. I have a 2002 quad cab 2500 4x4, A/T and 4.10 rears and I average 17 mpg. It just turned 152,000 miles and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Cummins has been making diesel engines forever and (excepting stupid lift pumps) know exactly what they're doing.

That said, the older trucks will fair better on mpg, mainly because of the lack of a particulate filter. Every brand of the new trucks have them and they all suck at mileage.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM
leavin Alaska soon

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wndwcpe
You're never going to get good fuel mileage from a 7000# vehicle. Period. What you do get will vary with how and where you drive. Keep your foot out of it and 17-19 is not unreasonable. I have a 2002 quad cab 2500 4x4, A/T and 4.10 rears and I average 17 mpg. It just turned 152,000 miles and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Cummins has been making diesel engines forever and (excepting stupid lift pumps) know exactly what they're doing.

That said, the older trucks will fair better on mpg, mainly because of the lack of a particulate filter. Every brand of the new trucks have them and they all suck at mileage.
I will disagree since I have 3 work associates whom "claim" actual (checked) MPG's of 17 to 19 on 05 thru 07, 5.9 cummins. They each have some after market add on product.

Yet I didn't use them as my only information source, many on line sites claim it is not unreasonable to expect those numbers with small changes. The question I am looking for an answer to is what changes, where this information is and for how much?

I am not a deep into the carpet driver, I am actually very easy, and mellow. The speed limits followed, the race from light to light is not my issue, although I have fallen off my high horse every now and then. But the mileage is not good enough for my taste. I will make these changes and report back here after my move to the lesser 48.

peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685s.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	32872  

Last edited by Gusgus; 09-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
I will disagree since I have 3 work associates whom "claim" actual (checked) MPG's of 17 to 19 on 05 thru 07, 5.9 cummins. They each have some after market add on product.

Yet I didn't use them as my only information source, many on line sites claim it is not unreasonable to expect those numbers with small changes. The question I am looking for an answer to is what changes, where this information is and for how much?

I am not a deep into the carpet driver, I am actually very easy, and mellow. The speed limits followed, the race from light to light is not my issue, although I have fallen off my high horse every now and then. But the mileage is not good enough for my taste. I will make these changes and report back here after my move to the lesser 48.

peace
Perhaps your associates with the 5.9's did realize those gains, but the OP specifed he was looking at an '08 which would be a 6.7. Different animal altogether.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
leavin Alaska soon

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wndwcpe
Perhaps your associates with the 5.9's did realize those gains, but the OP specifed he was looking at an '08 which would be a 6.7. Different animal altogether.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.