Dodge truck idle problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dodge truck idle problem

I hope I am not abusing privileges here by repeatedly asking non-hotrod related questions since this is about the third time I have had a problem with my Dodge farm truck (1999, 360, auto, 104000 miles) but once again I have a perplexing problem I can't seem to solve. This thing idles just fine when cold but when it reaches about 90% operating temperature the idle starts to surge up and down, from idle to about 2000 RPM for about 30 to 45 seconds then back to idle for about 30 seconds then back up again and so on. It will not set a code but I suspected the idle controller or the TPS so first I replaced the controller with no change then after checking the TPS it appeared to be erratic so I replaced it too with no change again. The O2 sensor is about a year old and checks ok using the DVOM/propane torch method but I would doubt that being a problem anyway, or could it be?

There is another electronic box attached to the throttle body housing in the front opposite side from the the idle controller, what is this and what is it's purpose? Any of you Dodge guys out there run into this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

OK as I suspected I have found the part on the front of the throttle body is the MAP sensor, I just wasn't sure that's what it was. Could this cause the problem I have described? This thing is about $80 including tax so I don't want to just guess at it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Look for a vacuum leak. Pay close attention to the intake gaskets,especially the belly pan on bottom of the intake. Sometimes you can crack the tb open and look in the intake. There will be oil streaks. I doubt it is the map sensor. Last, make sure the tb isnt coked. Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, and if this post looks a bit familiar I had a similar problem a little over a year ago and you were a help in solving that one too, that one turned out to be the idle controller. I think I may now have found the problem this time and it probably is the bottom of the intake, after reviewing the thread from a year or so ago I went out and checked the inside of the intake and it is covered with oil in the bottom. So much so that it has even sucked oil into the intake runners to the point they are slightly wet with it. I have not noticed any oil smoke from the exhaust nor any unusual oil consumption but there must be a leak around that internal pan gasket for there to be that much oil in there.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Glad to hear it. It is any easy fix. Good Luck.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.