does any one know of a nice repacment seat for a 74 bronco that will almost bolt in? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

does any one know of a nice repacment seat for a 74 bronco that will almost bolt in?

I would like to replace my original seats, I would like a nice seat that isnt going to take to much work. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

We get a lot of questions like this, and there needs to be a de-bunking of the common conception about car seats. The car manufacturers do not make their own seats. They outsource their seats, and have been doing so almost since cars were invented. The only difference between one car seat and another is the company that makes them, and the mounting bracket that holds it to the floor. The car company buys seats, made to their specifications, from a supplier and fabricates a mounting bracket for that seat which makes the seat sit level, and at the correct height, on the floor of the car. The floor to seat mounting bracket is the only thing the car company engineers design, and that too is outsourced.

Granted, from one 3 year period to another, the dimensions of the way the seats in your particular car are attached to the mounting bracket will be different, but only in how the mounting bracket attaches to the seat itself.
Basically, this means that any car seat that will fit inside your particular vehicle will work if you have the original mounting brackets that will attach it to the floor of your car, or can replicate the original brackets. All you have to do is find a way to attach the mounting bracket on the floor to the seat you choose. This is generally very easy, with only minor modifications to the bracket needed, like re-locating some of the holes in the brackets.

I hope this helps you, and encourages you to look for any and all seats that you like. If you find an appropriately sized seat you like, you can make it work in your car.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have found it simple to if needed just weld some angle or tube to the new seats mounting to make it fit the floor contour of your car..this way you can find some seats on craigslist or something and make them work..last one I did was some jeep cherokee seats installed in a camaro..just a bit of trimming and welding and voila we had seats and all it cost was a bit of steel and some welding wire..we did drill new mounting holes as well..Just for me is that i can weld and fabricate waaay better than I can sew..

Sam
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you will probably find that loads of Ford/ Lincoln/ Merc seats will bolt in.. most of the time, in my experience. Ford seats up to 1997 are pretty much compatible because of the bolt spacing in the tracks that go to the seats is the same between models ( I would assume same seat manufacture also ).. so you can put Tempo seats in a Mustang if you wanted, or a popular swap is Mustang seats in Ford Rangers, which bolt in with the Ranger tracks
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Well I really like honda si seats for this type of thing they are comfortable and light weight. What dantwolakes says makes alot of sense though to. thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

In my brothers old 71 we put a power seat out of a broncoII. bolted up nicely and looked great

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.