Does anybody here still use single stage paint anymore??? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare.net
Can you guys just like tell me what training i need so i can get off of this stupid site and get back to school?
Yeah, I guess the user I.D. says it all, if that's all the patience you have, don't do paint jobs for me

Thanks Kenseth, I'll need your address so I can come to Green Bay and pick up "MY" green Mustang I like that The bad thing about a tax no. is that I would have to claim everything On my tech sheet for this enamel it says to polish and put into service after 16 hours but I'm assuming they aren't talking about "cut and buff" I can still put my fingernail into it. I guess I'll wait a few more days

I JUST LOVE THESE SMILIES,,,I WISH WE HAD MORE TO CHOOSE FROM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

You want that mustang, then you better head to appleton. Its not mine either, It was a side job. Much more work then I planned for. A good reason when you have an older car to do, to not just blurt out a price. Anything larger then a small job that you know you can do in maybe a week, tell you won't estimate unless you can strip it first (if its something old and has a bit of rust bubbles), and then set up a payment schedule, break up the work, and when you complete so many tasks, you get payed such and such. Lessons learned for next time. But ohh well, I sort of took it cause of what it was anyways, and had a bit of time on my hands at that time. Good to learn a little about business and dealing with people before you get a tax number and set up a business that has to pay the bills on the shop and also for you. Insurance work would be nice, but hear a lot are a hassle to deal with also. But it would be a lot better money then working on an old car, if you get insurance companys that are fair with the times, and send you plenty of work. I have a lot of mitchell manuals that I bought off of ebay a few years ago, Most models up to I think 2003 or so. The parts prices may not be accurate, but majority of the times should be pretty much the same. Just don't forget to check the front to see whats not included in the labor times. Like clearcoat is not included in the paint time, you get something like .4 hrs times total refinish hrs to add on to clearcoat. and they also tell you how much time per refinishing time to add to buff. Unfortunately they will not tell you time for such amount of rust, or time to fix dents or straighten something, That you have to start keeping track of how much time stuff like that normally takes you so you have an idea what to charge when something similar comes up.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

There's a lot to learn about the paint bussiness. I am going to look for one of those manuals, is there one that's better than the other? I had a guy send me some pics of an 87 Olds 442 (like the Cutlass), that he wants me to strip and paint but the pics he took are while it was setting in a barn and they were dark and didn't show much in detail. In one pic it showed rot through on the door right where the door seem meets the fender seem, I told him I won't even try to fix it and he should buy a different door, he agreed and I asked him what paint type he wanted to go with and explained BC/CC and Acryllic Enamel to him and he was interested in BC/CC so I told him he could expect to pay anywhere from $400-$700 just for paint and additives then so much per hour after that. I hope he calls me back, it's a cool looking car, I'd have fun with that one (tinted t-tops, tu-tone, mags/white letters) He don't want it back until April or May so it would make a great "IN-BETWEEN" project. Do you do interior too or just paint/body? My shop 35x17 (give or take and inch) is set up in one corner of a 60'x120' pole bldg. The pole bldg. has a concrete floor so I have a LOT of room to work. I also have a "shop" outside the actual shop but still inside the pole bldg. I paint in my shop now but I want to set up a paint booth in one of the other corners, and eventually get a hoist and maybe a pit. I have 3 x 14' doors, I can drive my pickup and car trailer in one door and out another Makes it nice, I can have 4 or 5 projects going at one time. Right now the projects I have going on are: Putting a 350 in a 28' boat, painting a truck, putting a tranny in a jeep, and building my hotrod at the same time. WHEW!!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

You have better conditions to work then I do. Only have an uninsulated one stall garage I work out of. Not the greatest conditions, I make it work till I can get the dang money tree to grow in the yard. I work full time now, so It doesn't leave a lot of time for any sidework. I won't really do much of anything till spring, plus it is too much work battling cold weather for me. Mitchell is the manuals that I have. Pretty much what most people use, I believe that motor makes them also. You can also get them on cd, but think they are pretty pricey. If you ever need the times on something that is crash work, or like replacing a part, shoot me an email and I'll find the page with the part numbers and times, until you can get some. I have most stuff from early 80's to around 2002 or 03. Mainly domestic in early years. Keep checking ebay. They show up on there, some body shops close down or replace them, or get the disk and updates, so they so up on there. Also might want to check with some shops or the tech school near you. I went back to the tech school the year after I finished the class and the teacher gave me a bunch of different ones. No I don't do interior work, other then maybe repairing some plastic or replacing a part. Just make sure you quote a fair amount on that job, If you find a bunch of rust holes hiding when you strip it, It takes time to replace all that metal and get things straight, paint and buff. If its fairly rusty, even putting in a fair amount of hours everyday, you just might be april when you get it done. Alot of things seem to take a bit longer then you originally thought. I wouldn't even try to give much of an estimate from a picture, you really can't tell much from them, got to see it in person and dig in to know the true story. Kinda getting off the topic of single stage here. Ohh well, not the first thread to go off course.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

This guy is about an hour from me but I don't want to spend that time and money going to look at it and he doesn't have me do it. I'm going to try buffing that enamel this weekend and if I like the results, I'm going to start doing more of it. Then I can give cheaper quotes, charge less for the actual paint and still get the jobs and make a decent wage on labor (Maybe).

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.