Hot Rod Forum banner

does anybody now anything about a 4L60E?

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  BigDawgsEatFirst 
#1 · (Edited)
does anybody know anything about a 4L60E?

okay i am trying to find out what i have to do to make my 4L60E transmission work with a carburated motor. I have a 1994 impala ss and i am takeing the 350 lt1 fuel injected out and puting a 427 BB carburated in it. i just need a computer bypass or something to plug back into the computer so my car will run and the transmission will shift when it is suppose to. if you know anything about what i am talking about please help me. :confused:

#3 ·
but what does the controller do. i have read the description and basically its telling me that i can change my shift points and get better performance out of it, it does not say that it will make a computerized transmission work with a carburated motor.

#4 ·
94impalass said:
but what does the controller do. i have read the description and basically its telling me that i can change my shift points and get better performance out of it, it does not say that it will make a computerized transmission work with a carburated motor.
It "CONTROLS" the trans. 4L60-E denotes a 4 speed linear (RWD) with a "60" torque rating and electronically controlled.
The controller controls every aspect of the transmission. It will not shift without it. It controls the line pressure.
You will have to wire the controller to the distributor for an RPM reference and setup a throttle position sensor.

#5 ·
the 4l60e trans requires a controller/computer to shift and controls main line pressure in the tranny.

the compushift unit has a cable setup that will operate a calibration box to shift your 4l60e trans... this cable is hooked to the carb throttle.

this cable on the compushift unit must be hooked up with the correct geometry to function and control the trans shifts / pressures.

if you have a heavy foot and a healthy 427 big block , it will wipe out the 4l60e in a short time.

:cool:

#6 ·
i wouldn't put a 4l60e in that car, if you want the overdrive go with a 700r4 (basically a 4l60e just not electronic) or if you want electronic go 4l80e(heavier duty, kinda a 400 with OD)
or if you don't care about a Over drive get a 400
you can build a strong 400 for way less than the controller and a built 4l60e
why get an elctronic trans when your running a carb? thats like having email and still sending letters

Brendan

#7 ·
sha_ba_do_bang said:
i wouldn't put a 4l60e in that car, if you want the overdrive go with a 700r4 (basically a 4l60e just not electronic) or if you want electronic go 4l80e(heavier duty, kinda a 400 with OD)
or if you don't care about a Over drive get a 400
you can build a strong 400 for way less than the controller and a built 4l60e
why get an elctronic trans when your running a carb? thats like having email and still sending letters

Brendan
sha_ba_do_bang:

the 1994 Impala SS is built with a 4L60E from GM...... I would guess that is why he trying to use the trans in it.

:cool:

#8 ·
thank you crosley i am glad you explained it to me so what you are really saying is that i need the tci transmission controller? so what would i do with the computer that is already in the car i should just take it out. oh also if i get a bigger torque converter will that make my transmission last alot longer?

#9 ·
What Crosley is saying is that the Compushift unit will work. I believe he has the msot experience with them and has had some issues with the TCI units.
He also stated that the 4L60E would be short lived behind a healthy BBC and I would tend to agree.

Not to be an ***** but it sounds like you need to do some research about what you are planning on doing, as you may not have the experience or skills to make your project a success based on your posts here.

Good luck.

#10 ·
your factory onboard computer receives signals from the lt-1 motor. A TPS , RPM feed, temp of engine, air temp, many data feeds to the computer.

you need these data inputs to operate the 4l60e trany with the factory control computer.

I have not performed these types of conversions , I cannot provide guidance there.

A converter change will not help the 4l60e strength..... the 427 engine if it is strong will break many internal parts of the 4l60e.

for your viewing pleasure... an input shaft of a 4l60 that was behind a powerful small block chev engine.

94impalass said:
thank you crosley i am glad you explained it to me so what you are really saying is that i need the tci transmission controller? so what would i do with the computer that is already in the car i should just take it out. oh also if i get a bigger torque converter will that make my transmission last alot longer?

#15 · (Edited)
Alot of work and $$$

Dont take this wrong ,however
you are getting into a real project
Have you thought of massaging the 350 and
doing other mods.
That car responds well with mods like
free flowing exhaust
Headers
Change(Updated) Heads
Induction Mods(cold Air)
unless u have done all of this and want more
that is why we are here
I always want more power. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.