Does anyone like their hot rod rare? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue
Wiki Edits: 0

Does anyone like their hot rod rare?

I keep noticing the trend towards comfort and convenience in modern hot rodding. I consider my daily driver to be a hot rod too, and I do prefer that it be relatively quiet, smooth, and comfortable.

However, I want my Camaro to be a more hardcore hot rod. I want near sensory overload from the mixture of sounds and sensations it delivers to my entire body. That means solid motor/trans mounts (eventually to replace the current factory rubber mounts), two-chamber original Flowmasters (will replace the "quiet" turbo mufflers I have), carpet but no sound deadener, no A/C, etc. I will probably succomb to a couple cupholders for my Joe and Pepsi though

I just want to feel like I spent the day in a hot rod...

Advertisement

Last edited by toddshotrods; 06-26-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

My current project is similar, although I am adding heat shield under the carpet. 500HP and full exhaust under an F-body create a lot of heat. I added PB's for safety and PS just because, I may not keep PS if I don't like it though. Changed to Urethane bushing everywhere.
No Boom Boom stereo's, no modern techno bling bling, just a high HP, stump pulling 4 speed Hot Rod with stock interior and factory gauges where they belong.
I'm not even using chrome or polished aluminum under the hood and I don't care for serpentine belt systems on older cars either. Just don't like the look, nor the modern or carbon style gauge clusters added to older cars.
But, that's just me. But that is also what makes this hobby so cool, anyone can do anything, it's their canvas to paint on.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Well said gentlemen. Maybe it has something to do with age and what generation you belong to, but for me, the 60's defined rodding in it's purest form.

I have owned and driven many car's that were stock throughout (sleepers). The secret things made the cars "hotrods", such as engine and trans. upgrades and always keeping the other guys guessing....."what you got in that thing"!!!!! The "I'll never tell" attitude back then made rodding exciting and trips to the strip even more so.

The cars of today look okay with the manicured look and having all the "modern" bells and whistles, but personally I don't care for it.

Air conditioning? Boom boxes? Power Steering? R&P? Chrome everywhere? If you want all that, buy a rice burner or a limo.

Hotrodding is a marrage between car and driver....Doing something that makes you feel as young as you want.....makes you feel like people "are watching" as you drive by....stirs something within an individual that feels like nothing else. If chromed out trailer queens gets individuals to that point, then so-be-it.

In the day, noone would think of driving with the windows up with the a/c howling or being afraid of getting the car dusty or finding a few dings. Primer was the favorite color and the car was judged on how it ran, not on how it looked.

Yes gentlemen, I agree that the "purity" of rodding is something that you have had to feel to experience...had to be there to know.

Maybe the definition of pure hotrodding has changed or evolved into something different, but to see a stocked out...rumbling...classic, really gets the heart going and the mystery of "what he/she has in that thing" makes you relive "the day".

Age doesn't dimenish the feeling when rodding is in your blood. Keep em as stock as you can (body wise anyway) and enjoy your ride!

Just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
When I was a kid my truck didn't even have a mat on the floor! I am really looking forward to that again. Everyday I drive a car with AC, power windows and door locks, remote, intermedeate wipers, four wheel independent suspension, and every other comfort one can imagine. I can't wait to push on the manual starter on my truck grrrrrrrrclang Vrooooooom, Vrooooooom and slip it into go gear pulling out onto the road with the cowl vent open to cool me off.

Brian
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Ahhh, so I'm not alone I will admit that my car does and will have some concessions. It came with PB/PS, and I will keep them. I just want to feel exhilerated, not pampered. I want the sounds and sensations to linger in my consciousness for a while after I tuck it back in the shop.

My friend is 70 and has a full-tube chassis, Pro Street, Vega that he drives a lot when it's on the road. It has a buzzing aluminum interior, and he actually plays contortionist and climbs over the door bar of the cage to get in and out of the thinly padded racing seats. He won't even get the swing out door bar. He did say he wants carpet over the floors when he gets it back out.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 06-27-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Not alone at all.

I really feel that the Foose's and Coddingtons have totally changed the perception of what "hotrodding" is simply by making people think that what they create are hotrods.

What they create in my opinion are their ideas of what that is, but with all the "modern stuff" they add, a man could buy a modern car, have those vices and call it a "hotrod'?

Pretty is for girls...bad is for boys. Nostalgia is almost a thing of the past based on todays taste and preference. Much like how music has changed...from bee bop to rapping, it's still called music? Rapping to me sounds like the kid in school who would get excited and start "stuttering real fast!".

Roddiing has it's history, but someday the nostalgia that used to be a part of it will become extinct based on the current trend.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

okay
I must be a kandyazz
Gotta have the AC/PS/PB/tilt/PW

But in my defense, I was conditioned this way by my second car.
If there was an option Chrysler offered--it was on that car

I still prefer a manual trans, but I won't drive a car over a week w/o tilt
(got one 66 elky waiting for tilt and a 5-speed before I drive it anywhere)

Bryan
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM

That I can remember, my Camaro has tilt, PS, PB, and power locks. It came with factory A/C, but I already discarded what was left of that. The power locks may stay because I shaved the door handles and having the power locks with an alarm would allow me to walk away from it in a store parking lot (waaayyyyy out in no-man's land) with a little more piece of mind. I figure the PS will allow me to drive harder, the PB will keep me safer, and the tilt isn't too bad.

I will repent from my evil, cream puff, ways with my street rod. It most likely won't have a stitch of carpet, and only minimal upholstery on the seats. The only concession I see with it is PB, for safety's sake in reeling in an insane power-to-weight ratio. Manual brakes on a drag strip with a long run-off is fine, but on the street you need some margin for error.

By the way, I don't mean to offend anyone. I love all types of hot rods. I was just curious about how many people still like 'em cooked rare. I see so many threads on hot rod forums about sound deadeners, etc...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I like this thread. Serve mine rare and sprinkle some dirt on it for that extra flavoring!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My Pontiac has PS/PB.....and is comfortable to drive.....The truck is bare bones, rattles a bit...rides a bit rough................and like Martinsr says.....love that cowl air conditioning.

Budget RVs
Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My 36 will have all the comforts of a new car, ac, power windows, stereo, ps, etc. However, my wife wants these comforts and hasn't griped a bit about the money I've sank into this project. HOWEVER, I know where a 55 chev 2dr post is hiding, can pick it up for 5 G's, sure would make a nice old timey gasser for the strip for the nostalgia drags. And my wife happens to like the 55's... Dan
Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Hey Dinger.....go for it!!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.