Does the heater box affect the engines temp? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Does the heater box affect the engines temp?

I am trying to clean up my engine compartment and get rid of wires, parts, a/c and other stuff that either I dont want, or doesnt work.

I have been trying to figure out how to get the heater box and "this a/c Box" out of the el camino. There is a "mini radiator thing inside" this box as well as some aluminum hoses for a/c fluid, and some a/c wires that attach to it. I thought that this "Box" was just for the air conditioning, and that I could take it off if I dont want it there.

what do these two hoses lead to and from other than from the water pump?

When I began to remove one of them, I saw radiator coolant. I immediately put the hose back.

I thought that this unit (interior heater box and the thing that is attached to the firewall in the engine compartment) was strickly for Air conditioning. I guess I was wrong.

I figured that before just ripping out hoses and the rest of this BOX I should do more research. What can i take off, and what can I not? I am assuming that I cant take off these hoses, but they lead to the interior heater box and I thought that I could take that off if I dont want to use the A/C and Heater.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator and heater hoses.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	24225   Click image for larger version

Name:	what are these Hoses.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	24226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac Box and hoses.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	24227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air conditioning unit thingy.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	24228  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

the part that is laying out on the ground is the evaporator core. That can be chunked.

All you need to do is remove the rest of the box there and find one for a non AC car. That will get some of the clutter out of the engine compartment.

I ended up cutting mine down and using some aluminum sheeting to box it back in and sealed it with seam sealer and bondo.

lol looks getto but works till I can get another box.

I'll try to post some pics tomorow after work.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Yeah, if you never want a/c or heat in the cabin, you can remove the whole mess. Remove the hoses and plug the ends at the pump. The heater core will have coolant in it, so it will be a messy removal unless you drain it first. Theoretically, it should drain when you remove the hoses at the pump if you position the end of the hoses at the ground into a catch bucket.

And no, the heater core removal will not affect the engine coolant temperature if you have a well-designed and maintained cooling system.

As a side note, I'll have to admit to using the heater in the middle of summer to take heat out of the motor when it was overheating on an old beater I used to have. It served as an additional radiator, blowing heat into the cabin and removing heat from the coolant.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

heater core on these cars are under the dash, but the duct work is routed outside the cabin so the heater can be used without having the AC hooked up.

I'll take some pics tomorrow should help you out.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

You can delete everything in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT and still keep the heater core inside, only problem is you won't have a blower motor anymore so it won't work anyway. Also, you will NOT have a working defroster. I really like my A/C and heater and defroster! They are my friends!!! LOL

Mark
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
You can delete everything in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT and still keep the heater core inside, only problem is you won't have a blower motor anymore so it won't work anyway. Also, you will NOT have a working defroster. I really like my A/C and heater and defroster! They are my friends!!! LOL

Mark
I agree. Makes driving a lot more pleasurable. Without a few creature comforts, you'll want to throw rocks at it after a while.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

I would like to have a/c and defroster, but right now I need a new engine. Im trying to sell EVERYTHING that I can to save enough for a 350.

I'd also like to basically strip the car, put in a reliable engine, and add things on when I have the money to do it right.

I bought the car without a compressor, condensor, some of the wires fried, and the control unit fried and cracked. I can recondition a few of these things for cheap and sell them for a couple bucks and put that money into my paypal account for a Goodwrench motor. Then build on from there.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Ive really been contemplating this one for a while because I dont want to make it harder to have A/C and defroster when I want it.

But I live in California and the weather is hardly ever something I cant compinsate for by rolling the window down (as always anyway) or throwing a sweatshirt on.

I also dont have the approximate $300 to put into getting the A/C working again. I might be able to get $100 or so for the parts that I do have, and put it into a reliable heart.

I have to make the el camino happy First with a new heart. She is in pieces right now and she doesnt care about how hot I am or how cold it is on my way home from school (10:30 p.m its about 65 degrees year-round).

Is there such a thing as an electric Air conditioning system that doesnt need to go through the firewall. If not, Im going to invent one. Me first, me first, dont steal my idea! Thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am not trying to be an ***, what you are wanting to do, does not make sense. Stripping parts off of your car to sell, what will the reward will be, a few dollars, maybe. Then what? Consider a part time job, you should be able to save at least a hundred a week, and get yourself that engine much quicker.
A service manual for your car will have tons of info and pay for itself many times over.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevy
I don't want to make it harder to have A/C and defroster when I want it.
AC is not something I want on any of my cars. But a heater/defroster is a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevy
Is there such a thing as an electric Air conditioning system that doesnt need to go through the firewall.

This is basically the system that is on the car now. evaporator is is the blower motor duct work in the engine compartment, and your heater core is under the dash.

If you want to remove the AC and get rid of some of the crap in the engine compartment like

This Without AC (out of a camaro but the only pic I could find)

Unlike

This WITH AC
Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 AM
jack of all trades

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I agree. Makes driving a lot more pleasurable. Without a few creature comforts, you'll want to throw rocks at it after a while.
where you guys live, yeah, no doubt. but around here, REAL hot rodders don't need that stuff. my ac and heat were gone years ago. under 100* is nice weather to me. yesterday it was close to 45* at the car show. i was i bit cold standing around. but on the way home was no problem.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Check out A/C Delete by American Graffiti
Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

good grief $130 for a delete duct, I just cut mine down
Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I just hacked mine off as well, boy was that thing crumbly in front, nearest the headers.Itīs still biggish but not so ugly and useless.

Also now the condensor is gone the blower blows much better.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EXACTLY what mine looks like.

well mine is not quite that clean, its been "smoothed" with bondo and isnt realy that smooth.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.