Does my el camino have too big of a camshaft?? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I couldn't see the alignment marks on your timing set.

And every other tooth is shined. What's going on with this ?

There are pros that are on this thread. I'm not a pro.

Reading your situation I can identify that you would like to get this car driveable. You have done loads of work to this point. In MORE ways than one.

So. If the carb is dumping too much fuel then it has to be corrected. Are the secondaries opened up at idle ? Can you disable them for purposes of testing or adjust them without comprimising the vacuum ?

If you could do me a favor, recheck each plug wire to be certain they are correct according to the firing order. Mark the connections at the distributor with tape like you did the dash if that will help. I am hoping this can be figured out without big cash outlays or a major rebuild/swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Dead center.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	25149  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:

Yeah, Im constantly wondering about what this might be. When I bought the car, it ran in gear and it idled. The most "Major" change that Ive done to the engine is fix the Harmonic Damper. Ive done little things like change the spark plugs (which are already fouled again, Rich A/F and/or worn piston rings) new Hei Distributor, Spark plug wires, and tuned the Carburator (at least I thought I successfully did. I went through the edelbrock (1407, 750 cfm) manual and tried understanding as much as I could. Then I went by the book and adjusted the uneven floats. I adjusted the Idle mixture screws. and I put in bigger metering rods (which I recently took out and put the stock ones back in). Ive also put in the lightest hg" springs under the Rods.

What is the tool that I need to measure the valve lift. I think it is some sort of dial.

I dont trust a Thing that the previous owner said to me about the car. He pulled out a dyno sheet saying that it was a 350 (actually a 305) and that it has 270 horsepower. He said that he had a friend of his put it on the dyno and tune the Carb. He Told me that his friend said that the flat spot (bogging when first stepping on the throttle) could be fixed with a simple changing of jets. He sounded like he didnt even know what jets were. Neither did I at that point. But the car did run, "just needed brakes", and was a 70' el camino for $3000.

I ran the engine for a quick second today. It wouldnt start until I retarted the timing a few degrees. Then once it came on just "Burbled along" (perfect term for the sound Oldbogie). It ran worse that the other day (after just finishing the centrifugal lockout and timing it to 24*). From what you guys are saying and from what I can understand is that we are leaning towards the Carb. needing re-adjustment, the timing is still off ( ), there is a vacuum leak (I'll be checking that by plugging all of the vacuum ports). I dont know if it is much to do with the cam because it is the same cam since Ive had it and when Its ran.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

There you go. The answer is in your last post. If you can determine at which point the engine wouldn't idle. Even if it means putting the old dizzy back in. To get you idleing and running again. I mean during one of those changes, little changes, everything didn't come back up like when you first got the car. Make any sense ? BTW. my favorite icon: stressless
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:

I am thinking of paying $9 bucks to get new springs and weights for the distributor, get a fuel regulator, retune the carb. (including adjusting floats), re-re-check TDC and the dampers timing mark. The spark plug wires have been quadrupal checked. Im also going to check for any vacuum leaks by plugging up all of the hoses.

I may even get smaller jets if the fuel regulator and float adjustments show signs of improvement in performance. A buddy of mine said that he had the same problem. First thing he said was that his carb was too big. He got a smaller carb and it works fine now.

On Saterday I painted her inside the storage unit, which is an 8x30 unit. There was ash in the air due to all of the Fires around here in Southern California. I have the first sealer coat on her and its good to see her in a fresh new coat.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Then that's when it stopped idleing and running in gear ?

El Camino = The Road

Later
Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Knows everything about nothing

Last journal entry: Ever forward
Last photo:

This may sound stupid but, is your exahust system free of obstructions?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.