Hot Rod Forum banner

Does it Need more Stall?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Scandinavian 
#1 ·
67 chevelle malibu, 383 10.5:1 scr, 8.5:1 dcr, comp xe274 cam .501/.510 236/242 @ .050, dart iron eagle platinum 200cc heads, TH350 trans w/2400 b&m stall converter, 12 bolt posi w/ 3.31's and 25 inch tires. 95% street but i really like to beat on it.

As it sits it flashes to less than 2000 rpm's and feels like the converters tight at idle. I think it needs more stall but it don't really know anything about it. Who makes good converters for this type of application? At what point would i need a trans cooler?

Thanks for the help

#2 ·
With the above TC you will need a good Cooler. The stacked Plate & Fin type are best.
3rd one here would be fine>> http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tru-cool-thin these are the LPD/LowPressureDrop, self regulating type, when the fluid is cold it bypasses the Cooler thru the top rows.
Flow Diagram>> http://www.bakerprecision.com/trucool.htm
The Coolers with screw in fittings don't come with a Hose install kit.
Others>> http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT same Co. as Bulkpart/Makco.

#3 ·
Definately need more stall and with more stall comes more heat. Get a tranny cooler if you don't already have one.

Something to consider - TH350C or 700R4 or other automatic overdrive. These trannies have lock up converters. With a lockup converter, you will eliminate the high heat build up when driving around town. I use a 700R4 with a 3800 stall and have the lockup wired for manual control and love it!

#4 · (Edited)
schovil69 said:
Definately need more stall and with more stall comes more heat. Get a tranny cooler if you don't already have one.

Something to consider - TH350C or 700R4 or other automatic overdrive. These trannies have lock up converters. With a lockup converter, you will eliminate the high heat build up when driving around town. I use a 700R4 with a 3800 stall and have the lockup wired for manual control and love it!
Agree 100%. Been telling folks that for years. Best of both worlds if you built an engine that doesn't wake up till 3 grand, a lock up torque converter with the newer automatics, PLUS a lower 1st gear. Everyone I've talked into choosing a 700R4 to replace their th350 has loved all (3) aspects, heat reduction, lower 1st, and overdrive cruise gear. And a lot better fuel mileage. My last 500+ mile trip was 24.6, 30.2, 15.9 (got tired of ***** footing it) and 28.2 mpg. I even followed my own advice, even though all my hot rod rides have manual trannies, I just swapped out a Muncie M21 for a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. Love that OD.

My ride is now geared tall.

#7 ·
BlackStrat67 said:
67 chevelle malibu, 383 10.5:1 scr, 8.5:1 dcr, comp xe274 cam .501/.510 236/242 @ .050, dart iron eagle platinum 200cc heads, TH350 trans w/2400 b&m stall converter, 12 bolt posi w/ 3.31's and 25 inch tires. 95% street but i really like to beat on it.

As it sits it flashes to less than 2000 rpm's and feels like the converters tight at idle. I think it needs more stall but it don't really know anything about it. Who makes good converters for this type of application? At what point would i need a trans cooler?

Thanks for the help
ive go fore 4.11/4.30 gearing and higer stall over 3000 youre CR will make it..do you have dome pistons ore flat topp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.